Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250k or 500k for '59 HB and Hot rails setup

Greetings,

Upgrading one of my tele's to map similar to Mike Stern's tele. SD recommends a 500k POTS for humbucking and a 250k for the hot rails/cool rails. I'm a jazz/fusion player and like a fuller sound but don't want it too muddy...is there a big differencece. What does Yahama do?

Thanks
    Deparko
    Last edited by Deparko; 07-31-2022, 09:28 PM.

In the neck always 500k in my book, but in the bridge its debatable.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

This is SO subjective and guitar/pickup-centric. I just tried 250k pots in a guitar with a Jazz set, (because they were already there), and it was a match made in heaven. The 250's subtly tamed the brightness of the Jazzs' without muffling their highs. Finding the volume "load" sweet-spot of my installations, is something I will always do going forward.

Comment

If you mean 59 neck and Hot Rails bridge, that will be pretty fat. It wouldn't be overly bright with 500k and would probably suit your taste of full. However 250k would knock it down a bit more and probably be a bit warm. I'm sure either would sound good depending on how warm you want it.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

I never change pots and caps when first changing pickups. As Artie said, you might be surprised by the matching of the pots and pickups. If not, you can adjust for tastes easily.

Comment

Great advice already given–really depends on your ear and what you are wanting out of that specific combo–people have used both and liked the results. Wire them up and see if anything is off/missing.

I personally have had to switch from 250k to 500k whenever I've used Hotrails (IMO, one of Seymour Duncan's most versatile pickups.)

Comment

Personally, I'd go with 500k. The Hot Rails can feel really dark. I'd want the full sound from the '59 for sure and if you feel that the Rails is too bright, you can just turn down your tone knob a hair.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

-Greg

Guitars:
              2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
              2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
              2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
              Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

id try it with whatever is in there now, but i bet 500k would suit better

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  id try it with whatever is in there now, but i bet 500k would suit better
                  I think I'm going to do that. I'll take inventory when I open it up and then upgrade/change it to my tastes. Thanks all for your advice and experience

Comment

Also consider re-EQing your amp, that might be all you need, too.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X