The 59 Custom Hybird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 59 Custom Hybird

Is the 59 Custom Hybrid only intended to be a bridge pickup or could you also use it in the neck?

You could use any pickup in any position. Certain ones, particularly the hotter they are, or if they have more low end, are better suited for the bridge. The 59/C is pretty even and medium output, so you could use it in the neck, assuming you had a hotter bridge that worked with it.

Comment

I've used it in the neck. I actually like it better in the neck than the bridge...it sounds great in the bridge, but I just like it better in the neck.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It would be kind of like a Demon; Boosted highs from the ceramic, but tighter bass than the 59's A5.

I have one I could try....just nowhere to put it at the moment.

Would be killer with a Custom bridge I'd think. Never tried it though...
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I like it in the neck of my SG with an a2 magnet, although I love fast mid rangey sounds.

Comment

I'd have no qualms about running a Hybrid in neck position (with a bridge that's at least medium output, as mentioned above).
            Like its brethren the 59 and the Custom, the Hybrid takes different magnets very well.
            So it's customizable in case the stock A5 turns out to be a little boomy or simply a bit too strong.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
              I'd have no qualms about running a Hybrid in neck position (with a bridge that's at least medium output, as mentioned above).
              Like its brethren the 59 and the Custom, the Hybrid takes different magnets very well.
              So it's customizable in case the stock A5 turns out to be a little boomy or simply a bit too strong.
              I dig the Custom and 59. I scored a hybrid with high hopes but didnt get along with it in either position with an array of magnets. I may accept that I don't dig humbuckers with coils with significant wind differences. Have the same experience with the Fred. As an HSS fan, I had high hopes for it being the ultimate bridge pickup, splitting to the 6k-7k coil to balance with single coils and not be overwhelming in the bridge.

Regardless, it sits in my rainy day pickup drawer

Comment

The 7k coil of a Custom (43awg) is still to low wound to act as single pickup in the bridge. You need a 8.5k with 43awg or a 10k with 44 awg on one bobbin!
                Last edited by hamerfan; 08-05-2022, 11:08 AM.
                I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                  The 7k coil of a Custom (43awg) is still to low wound to act as single pickup in the bridge. You need a 8.5k with 43awg or a 10k with 44 awg on one bobbin!
                  Distortion/59 hybrid, maybe? Or Distortion/Demon. Or even a Distortion/Custom hybrid...
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I'd be inclined to throw an A3 in there if I was using it in the neck

Comment

Working...
                    X