Dave Mustaine Pickups Sound "FARTY"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Mustaine Pickups Sound "FARTY"

Been struggling for a while trying to find out why the DM pickups in the signature dean of his are sounding for the lack of a better term "Farty" I feel like I have checked everything with a multimeter, all solder points, and changed the battery, sprayed deoxit. I did notice the battery was getting rather hot. Maybe that has something to do with it? Looking to sell this guitar eventually. Thanks for any help!

Have you tried different pots?
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by hereformetal11 View Post
      I did notice the battery was getting rather hot.
      If the battery is getting hot, you have some kind of excessive load. Double check everything, then disconnect one pickups hot wire, then the other. A pup may be bad. You have to isolate which one. Those pups should draw less than 1 ma total.

Comment

Artie Too, thanks i will try. thought it was odd how hot the battery was

Comment

I've had two guitars with the dm live wires. I suspect SOMETHING is wrong if they sound farty

Comment

so, I plugged it into my amp, and it seems to be working now. I measured all the pots and they were all good. Tested the input jack and put it back. Put a new battery in and it sounds fine through my Archon. ?????? not sure what it was honestly. It is a Korean Made, Rust in Peace Dean VMNT. anyone interested in buying this guitar?

Comment

Farty to me sounds like the pickups are too close to the strings. Maybe your battery was bunk.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

If the battery goes hot something is broken.

Disconnect one pickup from the harness and wire it up with just a battery to test it in isolation.

Comment

Working...
                X