banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMG Pickups Better Suited To Mahogany Body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG Pickups Better Suited To Mahogany Body?

Currently have old EMG-81 non quick connect and a slant single coil in the neck (It's either an S or SA the logo color is worn off so can't tell which one) in my Charvel Model 5fx and they sound thin and just don't sound good in that guitar so I just got to thinking about maybe having a partscaster built once I get some funds saved up and I also have an EMG-85 as well. Are the EMG's maybe better suited for a Mahogany body guitar? I also have an 80's black Floyd Rose Original. Maybe a Hum, Single, Hum mahogany Strat or Super Strat body already routed for an original floyd and put the EMG's in it with a 5 way blade switch and either 1 or 2 volume controls and 1 tone control?
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

I highly recommend adding another battery clip and upping the EMG to 18v. Thin is the last thing I’d use to describe it done that way and is unbeatable for metal rhythm.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

No matter what the guitar, I think that EMGs sound better in warmer wood.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The EMG 85 will sound warmer than the 81. That might give the fatter tones you are looking for.

Comment

IMO the 81 is definitely better suited for maple-neck or maple/walnut-neck with mahogany-body guitars.

They can sound great in full mahogany, but I often feel like that lack having enough "weight" in the low end.

They can sound good in alder too, but sometimes can be a bit bright and "sterile/cold".

Not usually a fan of the 81 in basswood either.

Does the Charvel have a polar body? I've actually really liked both the 81 and 85 at the bridges in poplar.

Comment

Most of my experience listening to the emg 81 is with rammstein, they use alder body guitars and I think it sounds good. These things are subjective of course...

Comment

My buddy's LP standard has the 81/85 set. It rocks and sounds really, really good in that axe.
              Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Not a fan of the 81 either. They are popular for a reason, but they do what they do best when played loud. Their bass freqs are dialed so tight that on bedroom levels they sound really unpleasant to me. The 85 in the bridge (perheps with the above mentioned 18 V mod) will sound much better. If you're shopping and wanna keep the EMG, look into the 57 model.

Comment

I have a set of 60/S/S on a Godin Exit22, mahogany body with maple neck and fretboard. They sound very good. A bit warmer/darker than they were in an Alder body with maple neck and rosewood fingerboard Superstrat guitar. But I also put 11's strings on the Godin vs 10's strings on the alder body guitar, that might also account for the warmer tone.

1- I don't have the pickups as close to the strings as suggested by EMG.
                  2- Have you played with the volume control a bit? I have many kind of good sounds between 4 and 9, almost never playing at 10.
                  Last edited by donaldr; 08-09-2022, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                    I have a set of 60/S/S on a Godin Exit22, mahogany body with maple neck and fretboard. They sound very good. A bit warmer/darker than they were in an Alder body with maple neck and rosewood fingerboard Superstrat guitar. But I also put 11's strings on the Godin vs 10's strings on the alder body guitar, that might also account for the warmer tone.

1- I don't have the pickups as close to the strings as suggested by EMG.
                    2- Have you played with the volume control a bit? I have many kind of good sounds between 4 and 9, almost never playing at 10.
                    the 60 matches very well with the S singles.
                    But in the end i didn't like the 60 in the Bridge. But the the match was better than with the 81 (or 85 or 58).
                    Mine is a Alder with a locking trem -> very bright already.
                    The 58 i do like though

Comment

Working...
                    X