banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High out put yet distinctly strat sounding pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T-800 View Post
    First, I just want to say thank you to everyone who took the time to offer their thoughts and their suggestions.

The truth is, I don't have any specific issues with my current pickups; my limited knowledge and my curiosity had me wondering if there were any really sensitive and loud strat pickups out there, which pushed the limit of being as loud as possible without compromising the signature strat sound.

Iirc pink Floyd's guitarist uses seymour duncan pickups on his SSS strat and iirc they are described as being louder than stock strat pickups but not by so much that they sound too different. Anyone have any input on that?
    Higher output pickups will be more sensitive picking up quieter picking, but not touch sensitive. In other words, if your style depends on dynamics, higher output pickups compress in a way that limits the dynamic range. If you have, say, SSL-2, SSL-2, SSL-6 set, that will be super Stratty/quacky without getting too compressed in the bridge.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I wonder if the Custom shop would do a QP bridge with A8 poles?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just use regular strat pups such as the ssl 2,2,6 set and boost them with an eq. A simple 7 band behringer will work great. Of course, I recommend a 31 band because it's such an indispensable tool for any rig.
        Last edited by Clint 55; 08-08-2022, 06:27 PM.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

I had original Fender ceramic magnet single-coil pickups in my 2006 MIM Fender Strat. Didn't like them. I put a set of STK-S4 neck and STK-S7 bridge and that guitar sounded much better (but I now have them in my swamp ash LTD strat copy and they got to another level!!!!). I wish SD creates a true bridge single coil pickup like the STK-S7 (maybe an SSL-8?) as I would go SSL-2/SSL-2/SSL-8

I now have a set of Rose pickups in that 2006 Fender Strat. IMHO, they are very vintage sounding (5.5k neck, 5.8k middle and 7.8k bridge). I'm struggling a bit because I'm not used to so low output pickups, but using a tubescreamer at a very low gain helps a lot. Maybe I'll get a 30' coiled guitar cable

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
            they are very vintage sounding (5.5k neck, 5.8k middle and 7.8k bridge). I'm struggling a bit because I'm not used to so low output pickups
            See the post directly preceding yours. :P

The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

To the OP: Maybe this is weird answer, but try a Tubescreamer with low gain as an always on pedal.
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                See the post directly preceding yours. :P
                See also the post directly preceding yours :P

but using a tubescreamer at a very low gain helps a lot

Comment

I always figured active pickups should be able to give a high output, noiseless pretty accurate single coil sound . . . but it seems like actives are always designed for metal.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

the blackout single are more middy than a vintage strat pup but i think they sound great, and i dont play metal. i played my hamer daytona with blackout singles yesterday at a town park blues/rock gig and some older lady asked me what the guitar was cause it sounded amazing! odd, but whatever. the old duncan livewires are voiced much more like a vintage strat pup, almost more scooped than some, and they sound fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      I always figured active pickups should be able to give a high output, noiseless pretty accurate single coil sound . . . but it seems like actives are always designed for metal.
                      Steve Lukather and David Gilmore used to play with EMG SA single coils, they are not playing metal. Vince Gill is a country guitar player who used EMG S. Keith Urban was also using EMG pickups at some point in its Telecaster.

I don't know about SD Blackout but EMG Retroactive line is more vintage/traditional.

IMHO active pickups are not better or worst than passive pickups, just different tools. Same with pure single coils vs hum-cancelling stacked single coils.

Comment

Steve Lukather and David Gilmore used to play with EMG SA single coils, they are not playing metal. Vince Gill is a country guitar player who used EMG S. Keith Urban was also using EMG pickups at some point in its Telecaster.
                        Agreed. I have a Hammett set (81/S/S) in a crappy Ibanez. The 81 on high-gain, yeah, face-melter. Single coil S's on clean/crunch, not even remotely metal. Very versatile pickups, all in all.
                        The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Higher output pickups will be more sensitive picking up quieter picking, but not touch sensitive. In other words, if your style depends on dynamics, higher output pickups compress in a way that limits the dynamic range. If you have, say, SSL-2, SSL-2, SSL-6 set, that will be super Stratty/quacky without getting too compressed in the bridge.
                          Hey Mincer, it's been a while since I've been active here! Do you mean to say that pickups compress, or that because it hits harder a pickup makes the amp compress?

Comment

i do find many active pups seem to have a little natural compression but high output also can make the amp compress a bit unless there is a ton of headroom. neither is really bad, just different

Comment

You might try some different caps & pots first.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                                Of course, I recommend a 31 band because it's such an indispensable tool for any rig.
                                I'm not sure if you meant that tongue-in-cheek, or were serious. 31-band EQ's tend to be pro level, as in, needing some kind of buffer before you drive them with a guitar.

What are you using? Both, for EQ and buffer. Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Working...
                                X