No announcement yet.

A3 single-coil sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To my ears, Unoriented A5 sits neatly between A5 and A2 tone/feel, but A3 has a completely different character.

Comment

I'll definitely give these some time before I start swapping things out. I need to play with my amp settings too. It's dialed in for my humbuckers now.

Comment

I've had a set in one of my strats that I used to own.

Didn't like it. Much preferred A5. They were more chimey than the early 60s repros I use now, but were also much weaker in output. I had to set the neck pickup up to where I got wolf tones to get usable output when playing with an underwound PAF in the bridge
        Originally posted by Myaccount876
        Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

great lookin guitar! i always tend to gravitate towards a5 vintage output single coils. its what i hear in my head when i think strat. plenty of good a2 and a3 pups out there but, especially in the neck and middle, i almost always end of with a5

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
            I've had a set in one of my strats that I used to own.

Didn't like it. Much preferred A5. They were more chimey than the early 60s repros I use now, but were also much weaker in output. I had to set the neck pickup up to where I got wolf tones to get usable output when playing with an underwound PAF in the bridge
            Pretty much every Strat I've owned, including the cheap Johnson's with EMG Designed singles, sounded like a Strat. I swapped in Duncan pups because I wanted to.

This Classic Vibe is the first one where I don't care for the sound. Just a little too mid-range pierce. It's like in mid-range, what many people don't like in ice-picky bridge pups. This afternoon I'm going to run it through my BBE preamp, which has both a parametric mid control AND a parametric mid notch filter, and see if I can find where the mid-pierce is. I'll go from there to decide what to do with this.

On one hand, it would be nice to keep it original. On the other, it's not like it's an actual 50's Strat.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              great lookin guitar!
              Thanks. Its probably my best looking Strat, and I have a couple genuine Fenders.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

It does. And that thread you linked to reinforces that. So, they are Tonerider A3's and it's a CV 50. Suweeet!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pickguard-under_resize.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	6189483
                I had a set of Tonerider A3s, I really liked them and was thinking about a set for a strat I have to rebuild

Comment

So, this thing needs a serious setup. The saddles were real low, which is the same as the pups too high. I lowered them down to only a millimeter or two above the pickguard and the tone improved immensely. Tomorrow, I'll do a complete proper setup, and then go from there. These pups definitely have the potential to sound great.

I don't know why I didn't do a proper setup to begin with. Lazy, or impatient, I suppose.

P.S. I need to rewire the tones for N/M and B. The bridge needs some high end taming.
                  Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-09-2022, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

If I do, (and I probably will), it's got your name on it.

Edit: Sorry man. I shouldn't have jumped so fast to say that. If I do decide to swap these out, I probably shouldn't break up the set. Again, sorry for being wishy-washy.
                    No biggie. I have the Classic vibe neck and bridge paired with an A5 middle. They actually sound good in the notch positions, so I'm in no real hurry to change anything.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

i always get a tone on the bridge. either the neck and middle share, the middle is without, or master tone

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        i always get a tone on the bridge. either the neck and middle share, the middle is without, or master tone
                        Dang! Just replaced the trem assembly, and meant to do that! I've got her all set up and intonated now, so that will have to wait awhile.

Comment

Working...
                        X