banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humbuckers for Jagmaster? (Vista series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbuckers for Jagmaster? (Vista series)

Hi guys, I’m currently using Phat Cats in a Jagmaster and it’s pretty noisy. Can’t use it with an OR15. It’s fine in front of a clean amp, but gain/fuzz gets kinda muddy (unless I use a treble booster). Musically, I play clean mostly (surf stuff, etc) but also garage rock to mid-late 60’s Rock (think Kinks or Small Faces). Not really into metal, though Sabbath type stuff might be cool.

I’m wondering if a mag swap is in order, if that’ll make much of a difference, or if other pickups altogether will be the solution. Also wondering if pickup height might also be the issue here. I believe the guitar has a basswood body.

Thank you.

mag swap wont help with the noise. phat cats (and p90s in general are single coil pups so susceptible to hum

Comment

The funny thing is, I have an SG standard with SD P90’s… and they’re nowhere near as noisy as the Phat Cats. Throw a treble booster in the mix and it’s Iommi heaven. So it’s gotta be something with this guitar.

Should I go for a Jazz/JB combo instead?

Comment

Does the noise get better when you touch the strings?

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
          Does the noise get better when you touch the strings?
          I will definitely check later… not grounded properly maybe?

Comment

Interesting. So it was the wiring.

Loving this guitar. Vista series with Phat Cats for about $300. Great deal IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
            X