JB in a mahogany single-cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB in a mahogany single-cut?

I've got an ESP LTD EC-1000 with a mahogany body and neck, ebony fingerboard. Looking to swap out the stock Custom 5 for a JB to get those classic '80s rock and thrash tones.

I've heard people say that JBs can be problematic in certain guitars and great in others. Is it a bad idea to put a JB into this mahogany guitar? I like mids, but I want clarity and cut too.

I have agonized over this issue for weeks and it will be a JB when I have cash to spare. But I am very curious to hear what folks have to say about the JB in different guitars. If you think it's a terrible idea, tell me. I'll listen if you have other pickup suggestions, on further reflection.
    Last edited by weepingminotaur; 08-20-2022, 12:16 PM.

I seem to recall browsing ESP'S website and seeing a mahogany ec 1000 variant that came with a JB in the bridge.

Also I think one of their 87 reissues that has a JB in the bridge is made out of mahogany as well. Sounded nice to me.
    Last edited by T-800; 08-20-2022, 11:35 AM.

Comment

JBs can be an issue in some guitars, but that is as hard to predict as with any pickup. Sometimes, I knew what I thought I wanted or the guitar needed and it didn't work.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by T-800 View Post
        I seem to recall browsing ESP'S website and seeing a mahogany ec 1000 variant that came with a JB in the bridge.

Also I think one of their 87 reissues that has a JB in the bridge is made out of mahogany as well. Sounded nice to me.
        Yeah, they did have JBs in their EC-1000s for a while. Then they switched to Custom 5, and more recently, Pegasus.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post

Yeah, they did have JBs in their EC-1000s for a while. Then they switched to Custom 5, and more recently, Pegasus.
          Their website advertises many EC 1000 variants with different pickup offerings. Different thickness profiles, evertune equipped variants, Active, passive, emg, seymour duncan, fishman etc.

The LTD 1000 series in general looks very impressive.

They also have some great colorways that even the Japanese ESP lines don't have, then again the people who can afford that can afford to pay the ESP custom shop or another custom shop to get the colourway they want.

I personally have my eye on the LTD Arrow 1000FR in candy apple red.

Comment

My experience is a newer stock JB sounded ok/good for rock but kinda meh in my Les Paul, however my older "The JB Model" was much more versatile and could clean up with rolling the volume and had some treble that my newer stock one doesn't seem to have. If I had to get close to that sound now in a Les Paul type, I would just use a production Custom and roll the tone off a bit.

Comment

I had a JB in my Les Paul and it sounded awesome. Definitely had that 80s feel with tons of harmonics and a real singing midrange. I used 500k pots and 50s style wiring, so it had a lot of presence, but I play through Oranges which are warm flavored amps. Some people prefer to use a 250k volume pot to tame some of that. I'm using PAF type pickups in it now just to try another flavor, but the JB may go back in eventually.
              "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

I have an MH-1000, mahogany body, maple cap with a JB in the bridge, absolutely love it. I thought I didnt like the JB, until I got this guitar. Its my #2 guitar.
                1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400
                Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Interesting comments, thank you all. My amp (Boss Katana 50) is a bit on the scooped side, so I don't think I'm in danger of flabby / overwhelming mids. Good to know others have had positive experiences with a JB in LTD guitars. The Custom is an interesting alternative that I hadn't really thought about. Follow-up question: which is more versatile, the JB or the Custom? Which splits better?

Comment

IME Custom splits better, sounds like a Fender quack sound almost on it's own (think like Dire Straits Sultans or EC Lay Down Sally kind of sound), but a JB is pretty good split.

Comment

Yes, the Custom sounds great split. I think the JB sounds better in parallel.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

This is really useful info, especially because a secondary use of this guitar will be playing funk with the bridge pickup split, so quack and attack are important for those muted strums. (Yeah, yeah, I know I should be playing funk on a Tele or Strat, but no dollars for that at the moment, so I have to make do with what I have...)

Comment

If a JB in a full-sized mahogany flying V is anything to go by, it sounds like this straight into a 2ch dual rectifier.

The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I have had good & bad JB-Mahogany experiences.

Currently having a good one!

As for the EC-1000's though (When TF did they switch to C5's, and what?!?!?!?!)....

I love this guitar, and every one I have played with JB/59 combo has sounded fantastic. I don't know what the mojo is, but it works in those!
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I had a JB in LP classic. The low end was what I didn't love about it. It was loud and & loose compared to the 500t that was stock.
                              Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Working...
                              X