New JB Modding Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New JB Modding Experiment

I am new to SD Forum, but after reading up a bit on existing posts, I had not seen a recent JB mod. For my iteration, I tried a couple specific changes to hopefully bring a certain set of results:
    • Swapping an Alnico 5 for an Alnico 8. Something about my playing style does not mesh with an A5. Probably because they have a certain aggressive EQ with a relatively high output.
    • Pulled out the metal spacer under the screws bobbin. I tried to search a bit on what 'airing' specifically requires one to do, and I think it is pulling what I did. The A8 is now a fraction of inch from the screws, which should lessen the magnetic pull on the side closest to the bridge.
    Overall, I am primarily a PAF player, having ordered an overwound A4 set from the SD Custom Shop. I do love heavy music, though (Mastodon, Alice in Chains, Tool) and thought a JB might be a nice mod platform. I generally like the sound, it has a strong wind, and frankly is an affordable pickup to find used. It is so popular! Overall, I am hoping for a slighter broader EQ'ed JB with a bit less magnetic pull. I used the JB in the past I appreciate a higher output pickup for the range of output you can get from it. It is hard to turn a volume knob above '10,' but can easily control a high output pickup for that half power sound. I also saw & heard lots of the work Rob Timmons is doing over at Arcane, and it inspired the idea of an A8. The pickup will go into a Les Paul with quick connect plugs so I can easily swap from the A4 PAF to the J8 (what I am calling it!) for different palettes.

Originally posted by TheCanadianNews View Post
    I am new to SD Forum, but after reading up a bit on existing posts, I had not seen a recent JB mod. For my iteration, I tried a couple specific changes to hopefully bring a certain set of results:[LIST][*]Swapping an Alnico 5 for an Alnico 8. Something about my playing style does not mesh with an A5. Probably because they have a certain aggressive EQ with a relatively high output..
    Well, the A8 is an aggressive magnet having strong highs, (but a bit smoother sounding than the highs from an A5) and really strong lows. It has more mids than an A5. It also has HIGHER output/strength than an A5. So by going from an A5 to an A8 you're going in the wrong direction. If you want less aggression and lower output than an A5 you might want to consider an A3.

Originally posted by TheCanadianNews View Post
    Overall, I am primarily a PAF player, having ordered an overwound A4 set from the SD Custom Shop. I do love heavy music, though (Mastodon, Alice in Chains, Tool) and thought a JB might be a nice mod platform. I generally like the sound, it has a strong wind, and frankly is an affordable pickup to find used. It is so popular!
    It's so popular and affordable on the used market because so many people are influenced to buy it because of the advertising and hype then they are disappointed by what the pup actually sounds like and try to get rid of it on the used market. It's not a "bad" pup, it's just unique within a very specific niche. Some people love it, many not so.

I personally don't get along with its upper mids. At first it sounded great, but very soon with minimal playing it gets very tiresome. No matter what magnet I tried in it, it still sounded like a JB. It's definitely NOT what I would consider a good "mod platform". Any of the Customs are great though...Custom With ceramic mag), Custom Custom (Custom with an A2), C5 (Custom with an A5), and C8 (Custom with an A8, this is not a standard pup but it is so popular that it should be). The Customs get along with every type of magnet, they split well, sound great in parallel, and are the perfect wind to use one coil to match with another pup's coil to make a hybrid pup. But the JB is really not my cup of tea.

But you say you like it, that's fine. But from what you said you're trying to achieve, you're going the wrong direction if you go to an A8. Like I said, try an A3 instead of the A5 or A8.
    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 09-13-2022, 06:52 AM.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

I personally don't get along with its upper mids. At first it sounded great, but very soon with minimal playing it gets very tiresome. No matter what magnet I tried in it, it still sounded like a JB. But the JB is really not my cup of tea.

Exactly how I feel about a JB, but many here love it, and many here have used it with an A8.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've tried A8, A2 A3 and A4. I suspect that UOA5 is probably the best option in there, but haven't tried it.

Most were quite a while ago, but from recollection, here are my impressions.

To me the A3 just seemed to move the mid hump higher. I found it very unpleasant.
        A2 was an improvement on the A5 but a bit mushier.
        A8 sounded quite aggressive but not too different from a normal A5 otherwise I think it was quite similar to the A2.
        A4 wasn't too bad and seemed to smooth out the mid hump a bit but does lack a bit of character (sounds strange for the JB I know.)

I would be interested in hearing a JB with UOA5 and a single row of hex screws out of curiosity. May try it some day.

Comment

a8 but aired might be a cool pup, never tried that specifically

Comment

I liked the A8 in the JB. Gave a little more roundness and beef. Might as well try it, pretty easy
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
              I've tried A8, A2 A3 and A4. I suspect that UOA5 is probably the best option in there, but haven't tried it.

Most were quite a while ago, but from recollection, here are my impressions.

To me the A3 just seemed to move the mid hump higher. I found it very unpleasant.
              A2 was an improvement on the A5 but a bit mushier.
              A8 sounded quite aggressive but not too different from a normal A5 otherwise I think it was quite similar to the A2.
              A4 wasn't too bad and seemed to smooth out the mid hump a bit but does lack a bit of character (sounds strange for the JB I know.)

I would be interested in hearing a JB with UOA5 and a single row of hex screws out of curiosity. May try it some day.
              Haven't had a chance to install it, but I modded a JB to try and mimic the DiMarzio EVH/Axis bridge pickup (which was based on a "broken" JB.) I went with an UOA5 and short polepieces.

Comment

The JB, or Ed's broken JB is nothing like the DiMarzio EVH/Axis pickup. The Tone Zone is probably the closest stock, it was the runner up when Ed chose the pickup. I've heard that a 1/2 aired TZ is really close. The Air Zone is a nice pickup, and goes a little more to the vintage side of the EVH/Axis pup.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  a8 but aired might be a cool pup, never tried that specifically
                  It is definitely an experiment. From what I can tell in other threads and responses here, no one has tried it. An A8 appears to be used in a wide range of pickups, from PAF repros to overwound hot rods like the Arcane PowerDozer. GuitarDoc makes a point that I might be headed in the wrong direction, but the consistently hear "harsh high mids" for the JB. Other shared the A8 pulls the mids across a wider spectrum and has an A2 top end. It sounds like a "results may vary" disclaimer we see on skin care products!

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                    I liked the A8 in the JB. Gave a little more roundness and beef. Might as well try it, pretty easy
                    I want to be a foil to a PAF pickup, and always like chunky!

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                      The JB, or Ed's broken JB is nothing like the DiMarzio EVH/Axis pickup. The Tone Zone is probably the closest stock, it was the runner up when Ed chose the pickup. I've heard that a 1/2 aired TZ is really close. The Air Zone is a nice pickup, and goes a little more to the vintage side of the EVH/Axis pup.
                      I will report back and share how this "J8" compares!

Comment

Can't speak to the spacer...

But I have had both JB and JB8 recently. It was really a matter of the guitar, with the JB, I think. One did not love it, one did. With the A8, the spikey upper mid range noise - fixed completely.

Tamed the highs a bit, eliminated the spike, shifted mids lower, upped and tightened bass. JB became sort of a mix between a SuperDistortion and a Duncan Distortion, with A8, IMO.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yeah, an A8 in a JB, known as a "JB8" around here, is absolutely nothing new.

"Airing" the JB8, on the other hand, is not something I can recall someone trying, at least not recently

Comment

I must be the odd ball; I love the two Ant JB's built by MJ with the aged A5 in them.
                            It just lights up my Tele Deluxe guitars in a way I can't explain over the regular JB pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Exactly how I feel about a JB, but many here love it, and many here have used it with an A8.
                              stick the JB in an Ash tele with a thick maple neck and then it starts to make so much sense. Seymour once told me the JB/Jazz set were made to be a tele pickup set, but hotter, and noiseless. If you have that in your mind then the pickups make so much sense.

On topic.

I tried exactly what you did, years ago. I don't like the JB with the A8 in any way, shape or form. If you want to get rid of that upper mid spike, get an alnico IV or even alnico II, but the A8 is just way too hot. Too hairy for my ears.

But then again, I prefer lower output humbuckers nowadays. Not singlecoils, mind you! I'm a 42 awg wire guy all the way through. I tried one this week that's wound to 9.5K and uses a double thick ceramic magnet. Don't ask me how or why but that baby SMOKES. Too hairy for my taste, fizzy in the high end, but if I ignore that, it's great.

Comment

Working...
                              X