'59 B in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 B in the neck?

Would a '59 bridge sound good in the neck?

I had it in a Fender scaled 24 fretter, which sounded quite good. The 24 frets shift the neck position towards the mid and a longer scale makes the neck position sound tighter.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I'm afraid it would sound too boomy in a LP style guitar... or 25" scale superstrat type.
      (I'm assuming the bridge pups are would to sound fatter to compensate for the thinner sound near the bridge -- is that even correct?)

Comment

Website says '59 neck is wound to 7.9 and bridge to 8.2. That's a 3.7% difference between the two . . . it would probably be a touch louder and more middy, but I'd be surprised if it's enough to make the pickup sound bad.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i agree that it might sound best in a 24 fret fender scale guitar, but ive heard it sound good in other things matched up with a hotter bridge pup

Comment

Didn't Dimebag use this as his neck pickup?
            Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
            Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
            Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
            Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
              I'm afraid it would sound too boomy in a LP style guitar... or 25" scale superstrat type.
              (I'm assuming the bridge pups are would to sound fatter to compensate for the thinner sound near the bridge -- is that even correct?)
              Yes, it's correct - fatter tone and a bit more output, to compensate for the fact that string vibration is much narrower near the bridge.

I think it could sound fine, if you want richer mids than the 59N and have a fairly strong bridge humbucker to pair with it.
              I probably wouldn't choose it for a dark or midrangey sounding LP but I bet it could be great for a bright or thin sounding one. Or a Strat.

59s aren't especially tight, but IME they're seldom actually boomy at the neck in a Les Paul, except one with a pretty deep voice, or maybe for high-gain players who normally would be choosing something tighter for their neck anyway.

PAF types at the neck in a Les Paul like being set quite low from the strings, nearly flush with the mounting ring.
              Can be set to a more normal height in a Strat. At least that's been my experience using them in LPs and Strats.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

A 59b is spec-wise a Whole Lotta neck. I don't know about wire or bobbin differences though.

Comment

the wlh neck seems to have less bottom than the 59 (either model) and a bit more mids to my ear

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Yes, it's correct - fatter tone and a bit more output, to compensate for the fact that string vibration is much narrower near the bridge.

I think it could sound fine, if you want richer mids than the 59N and have a fairly strong bridge humbucker to pair with it.
                    I probably wouldn't choose it for a dark or midrangey sounding LP but I bet it could be great for a bright or thin sounding one. Or a Strat.

59s aren't especially tight, but IME they're seldom actually boomy at the neck in a Les Paul, except one with a pretty deep voice, or maybe for high-gain players who normally would be choosing something tighter for their neck anyway.

PAF types at the neck in a Les Paul like being set quite low from the strings, nearly flush with the mounting ring.
                    Can be set to a more normal height in a Strat. At least that's been my experience using them in LPs and Strats.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by soulforger View Post
                      Didn't Dimebag use this as his neck pickup?
                      Yup he did. First he used the 59n, then switched to the 59b for the neck.
                      And that was in a 22 fret 24.75" scale.
                      The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

Depending on your style and the amp, I think it could work just fine.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I didn't like the 59n in the neck, it sounded too thin and scooped. I actually liked the 59b in the neck much better. I never had a problem with "boominess" that many complain about.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It doesn't sound that much different from a '59N, IMO. Just a tad warmer, a tad less scooped, and a tad hotter. Not by miles, TBH. Especially if you're pairing it with a hot bridge pickup.

Comment

I had one in a 22-fret Ibanez that had a lot of natural sparkle, and it was fantastic. Full, deep, and sweet, but not at all boomy. So in the right guitar, it can be great.

Comment

Working...
                              X