banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blast from the past: Fuglybucker. Set.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Blast from the past: Fuglybucker. Set.

    Well, it appears that I have a set of this old forum pickup design heading my way. I've always been fascinated with the design, especially given that it has two A2 magnets.
    Anyone out there from the old days that has any experience with these? If so, please chime in. I've got two possible guitars to put them in. My Shecter Blackjack or my Jackson DXMG.
    Thoughts? Observations?

  • #2
    While I never tried one, I know there were a few extensive threads about it back in the day.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    Comment


    • #3
      Mine got in the news. Has so much definition in the chords, sounds amazing split. I eventually put in an A8 just because it had a bit of a low-mid hump I wanted smoothed out.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	DA43-D9-C4-6-B82-48-A5-9-D84-EFF87-EA42411.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	6197744
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

      Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



      Keep up to date on our Facebook

      Comment


      • #4
        Low mid hump? Does it really use an A2 bar in the south coil?

        Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Low mid hump? Does it really use an A2 bar in the south coil?

          Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
          At like 200-300hz, kind of mudded out with too much volume in less than tight amps. I left the bar alone, only changed the inner mag, that did it. Was considering ceramic 8 but thought it might be too much and didn’t want to lose the amazing string-to-string definition I liked. A2s have always been a touch loose for my liking.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

          Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



          Keep up to date on our Facebook

          Comment


          • #6
            Oh well, I usually run my amps pretty tight.
            Sounds like a win.

            Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              I'd forgotten all about that pup. I've got one somewhere in one of my guitars that I don't play anymore. I'll have to look for it. I do remember that it met with mixed emotions from the forum members. So many that helped design it and bought it didn't like it. I don't remember anything about it as far as tone or response, but I do remember that I was one of a few that actually really liked it. I think I put it in the neck position.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                I'd forgotten all about that pup. I've got one somewhere in one of my guitars that I don't play anymore. I'll have to look for it. I do remember that it met with mixed emotions from the forum members. So many that helped design it and bought it didn't like it. I don't remember anything about it as far as tone or response, but I do remember that I was one of a few that actually really liked it. I think I put it in the neck position.
                It’s good. I got plenty of good use out of still, still have it.
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

                Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



                Keep up to date on our Facebook

                Comment


                • #9
                  It sounds like something I need to try some day...I will add that to the list!
                  Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think I might have also changed the magnet in it, but I don't remember, I was doing a LOT of magnet swapping back in those days.

                    I've thought about that pup a couple of times over the past few years. Now I'm really going to have to dig it up and put it into something that I'm currently playing.

                    I do remember that quite a few guys that had some input to its design didn't really like the way it looked and wouldn't buy it. I thought it looked really cool, very different (which was a good thing).
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                      I do remember that quite a few guys that had some input to its design didn't really like the way it looked and wouldn't buy it. I thought it looked really cool, very different (which was a good thing).
                      I think it looks cool too. In the right guitar, or with the right magnet if that isn’t working out, every note in any chord even under the heaviest amount of distortion is almost supernaturally clear. It’s all over our second album for that.
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

                      Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



                      Keep up to date on our Facebook

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        I think I might have also changed the magnet in it, but I don't remember, I was doing a LOT of magnet swapping back in those days.

                        I've thought about that pup a couple of times over the past few years. Now I'm really going to have to dig it up and put it into something that I'm currently playing.

                        I do remember that quite a few guys that had some input to its design didn't really like the way it looked and wouldn't buy it. I thought it looked really cool, very different (which was a good thing).
                        The problem wasn't the looks. The problem was (is) that they didn't fit standard humbucker rings (they came with their own rings).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by uOpt View Post

                          The problem wasn't the looks. The problem was (is) that they didn't fit standard humbucker rings (they came with their own rings).
                          I hear that they fit a standard trembucker ring.

                          Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by uOpt View Post

                            The problem wasn't the looks. The problem was (is) that they didn't fit standard humbucker rings (they came with their own rings).
                            Yes, I remember the problem with the size/shape. Did they actually come with rings? If they did they didn't fit even those. I just found mine in a guitar I never play anymore and it is clear that I had to do some filing on the ring to get it to fit...I think it was at the ends of the staples coil.
                            GuitarDoc
                            Bacteriaolgoist
                            Last edited by GuitarDoc; 09-24-2022, 06:21 AM.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

                              Yes, I remember the problem with the size/shape. Did they actually come with rings? If they did they didn't fit those. I just found mine in a guitar I never play anymore and it is clear that I had to do some filing on the ring to get it to fit...I think it was the staples coil.
                              Yeah, my specific problem was that it came with flat rings, and I wanted to mount in a Les Paul that requires a tall ring in the bridge.

                              In the end I didn't like the sound much and they went into the parts bin.

                              I should mention that the other forum pickups I participated in were big successes with me, especially phat staples and the strabro90.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X