banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jazz neck to boomy and mushy what's the alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz neck to boomy and mushy what's the alternative?

My Carvin DC127 and have a Perpetual Burn in the Bridge. Need something that's smoother and more open in the neck than my current Jazz preferably in A5. In particular the cleans are boomy and undefined with the Jazz compared to my other 2 DC's with Carvin or Kiesel humbuckers. Love the Perpet in the bridge but don't play this one out as often as I should because of the neck tone.
    Last edited by Ascension; 09-24-2022, 05:45 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Try short polepieces and an A4 magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
      Try short polepieces and an A4 magnet.
      Thought about the A4 or a A3 like I have in the neck 59 on my Washburn USA MG. Don't know yet.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

yeah, short poles and a4 would push it in the right direction. the jazz isnt usually boomy and is pretty open on the top. you could try a fullshred neck, might be just what you are looking for

Comment

Man, not my experience with the Jazz in the neck, not at all. Even with the Jazz (b) in the neck! If this is indeed what you are hearing in that guitar, I doubt if changing the mag is going to help enough. Either time to wire it in parallel, time for a completely different pup (single coil), or time for a different guitar.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            Man, not my experience with the Jazz in the neck . . .
            Me too. "Boomy" is about the last word in the dictionary I'd use to describe the Jazz n OR b. I wonder if something else is going on.

Comment

Have you considered lowering the bass side of the pickup from the strings?
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I say, grab an A2 magnet, too. It will smooth things out considerably.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Bright? L500R

Comment

JazzN isn't generally boomy at all, but of course wood varies enough to defy all expectations sometimes.

I'd blame the A5 myself. A4 is often the perfect fix for a boomy neck; it'll be a tad smoother too.
                    A2 is creamy smooth but also takes you much further from the original voicing.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Full shred neck or a4 magnet.

The magnet is way cheaper

Comment

Unless you want the real purty cleans I would say just get a distortion neck. You mostly do shred-leads stuff with the neck?

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                          Unless you want the real purty cleans I would say just get a distortion neck. You mostly do shred-leads stuff with the neck?
                          No more like open airy chords and some melodic solo stuff. Never had a Jazz before so is a unknown for me. Pickup seems harsh and the bottom to uncompressed and pronounced it's just not smooth and sweet enough. Boomy may be the wrong term. Want more smooth and sweet if possible for nicer cleans but still having a nice singing solo voice. Had a Pearly Gates set in this one at one time and that set in this guitar was way to crunchy bright and harsh. Like the Perpet in the guitar a lot but am fighting with the Jazz. Had ordered a WLH from Banjo Mike on his EBAY close out but there was a mixup and the last WLH had sold on Reverb so I took a Jazz with some $ back instead.
                          Last edited by Ascension; 09-24-2022, 08:21 PM.
                          Guitars

Comment

The Jazz has really reduced bass and mids so it is pretty surprising. If you are considering switching out the pickup, look at the Full Shred.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

No more like open airy chords and some melodic solo stuff. Never had a Jazz before so is a unknown for me. Pickup seems harsh and the bottom to uncompressed and pronounced it's just not smooth and sweet enough. Boomy may be the wrong term. Want more smooth and sweet if possible for nicer cleans but still having a nice singing solo voice. Had a Pearly Gates set in this one at one time and that set in this guitar was way to crunchy bright and harsh. Like the Perpet in the guitar a lot but am fighting with the Jazz. Had ordered a WLH from Banjo Mike on his EBAY close out but there was a mixup and the last WLH had sold on Reverb so I took a Jazz with some $ back instead.
                              From what you say you're looking for, and from your experience with the Pearlies, I'd say that the Jazz is your perfect choice. Must be something else going on with your guitar...like was suggested, you should play around with your pup height a bit more. Or you could also put in an A2 mag and have an A2Pro which is just about the epitome of smooth and sweet neck pups. Or an A4 to get in-between the A2 and A5 sounds.

If you still don't like the Jazz, sell it to me, it's one of my favorite neck pups.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X