No announcement yet.

My wiring configuration, is it doable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wiring configuration, is it doable?

This is for the wiring experts..

I think I've thought of my ultimate setup for a Stratocaster.. I've been playing SSS guitars pretty much exclusively for like a year now and loving how they respond to the controls.

But the way my playing is, I think I've finally found a way to customize it perfectly to my liking.

I want the master volume to remain the same as usual
    the 2nd knob that is usually a tone knob, I would like that to be a 2nd volume that ONLY effects the neck pickup. BUT the master volume still has to control all the pickups too including the neck one.

That way for certain songs that have clean passages, I can set the neck volume halfway or so, and just flip the switch to get a cleaner sound. I'm guessing I'd have to wire the neck pickup a bit differently to make it work.. maybe the hot wire would go straight to the main volume pot, then from there to the 2nd volume, and then to its neck switch position? Is that even close to being right? Lol

Third knob will still be tone, but only for bridge pickup (or maybe middle too). I don't find myself ever wanting to tweak tone on the neck pickup, but the bridge pickup I play is Quarter pounder and it's a bit harsh for certain songs, so I like to be able to play with that.

Bonus followup question : I only really use that tone knob between say 7-10.. maybe 6-10. So is there a way to mod my tone control to make it more... "broad?" I guess is the word..

As in 1-10 would give me the same function as I have now with 6-10, giving me more sweep room to dial it in between those ranges. and I could fine tune it better closer to 9 or 10.

Thanks for any help

Bonus question answer.
    Use a linear pot

Comment

Having a neck volume with a master volume will interact and will be darker sounding whenever they are not both at 10.

You could try a 1Meg for the tone maybe? Or just a lower cap value? (Lowering the cap value won't give you more range but will raise the corner frequency of the roll-off, so that it might be more usable across the existing tone pot.)

Comment

Id say wire your neck pickup to a 1 Meg pot and then to its normal lug on the switch.

Third pot for bridge tone is doable, just tap it off the bridge lug on the switch.
        I concur that a linear tone pot should give you finer control through most of the sweep.*

Not positive, but I believe having the tone pot control both bridge & middle will require a Superswitch.
        Don't think that can be done using a standard 5-way; you probably need at least a half-Superswitch.

But you might be able to use the opposite side lugs somehow, the ones we use to autotap humbuckers.
        One of the real experts hereabouts could give you a definite answer on that.

*EDIT: As beaubrummels said, a smaller cap can indeed give you a wider useful range before getting too dark with a regular log pot.
        Still, there's a reason why many prefer larger caps with Fendery singlecoils. EJ likes a 0.1uF as used on the very old Fenders.
        Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 09-29-2022, 01:23 PM.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Considering that it's a SSS:
          Neck pickup to its vol pot/2nd knob (try 500k first, if not bright enough try 1 meg), then to its normal switch input lug.
          Bridge pup to its separate tone control/3rd knob and parallel to its switch lug.
          Switch output to the master vol pot/1st knob, then to output jack.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
          X