Wiring Super Switch for HH series/parallel, no coil splitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Super Switch for HH series/parallel, no coil splitting

Pickup wiring is still something akin to a dark art for me. I'm trying to wire two humbuckers using a 5-way switch to get the following series & parallel options:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pickup Selection Config.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.1 KB ID:	6199732

I believe this is possible with a Super Switch. There are several wiring diagrams for this floating around, but I based the wiring diagram below on the diagram Ewizard posted in an earlier thread (link).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Super Switch Humbuckers.png Views:	0 Size:	258.9 KB ID:	6199733

Does this look correct for the result I'm trying to achieve?

That is exactly what I posted, except where did you find the software to make that nice diagram? Me Wants....

Comment

Bear in mind that diagram's for Seymour Duncan pickups.
      Other brands may use the same colors assigned to different wires.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
        That is exactly what I posted, except where did you find the software to make that nice diagram? Me Wants....
        MS Visio with guitar stencils.

Did that configuration work the way you expected? I loved the cleaned up connections/wiring in your diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
          Bear in mind that diagram's for Seymour Duncan pickups.
          Other brands may use the same colors assigned to different wires.
          Indeed. I made the diagram for Seymour Duncans, but I may end up using some 80's (vintage?) Ultrasonic Reference series humbuckers.

Here's the wiring colors used on those:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultrasonic Wiring.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	6199906
          Last edited by Meridian; 10-04-2022, 12:28 PM. Reason: Added Ultrasonic wiring diagram

Comment

Here's some additional info I found:

There's a rather large repository of HH wiring options on the Schaller web site. They have a wonderfully detailed wiring diagram & description (HH8) that shows how their Megaswitch M can be wired for the HH series/parallel, no coil splitting configuration above. The upside is that the Megaswitch M has a dual-sided PCB which takes up less space. The downside is that it has surface mount pads for soldering connections instead of through holes. They also have 5-way rotary switch options which I suppose could work well in a normal 3-way toggle switch opening.

I also found a great post showing terminal mappings between the Oak-Grigsby 4 pole/5-way Superswitch & the Schaller Megaswitch M.

Comment

The oak Grigsby is the switch I am most familiar with. Do not use too much solder or you will regret it... The connections are tight but manageable, however, you must be careful not to get too much solder or it will wick into the connection slot or even across to another tab.

Thank you for telling me what software you use; I have always wondered how it was done so nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
                The oak Grigsby is the switch I am most familiar with. Do not use too much solder or you will regret it... The connections are tight but manageable, however, you must be careful not to get too much solder or it will wick into the connection slot or even across to another tab.
                That makes sense. One review I read advised soldering with the switch in an upright position so that any excess solder would flow down to the end of the terminal versus up the trace, the very problem you described.

Comment

Working...
                X