banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A3/42AWG tele bridge pickup at 6k or less?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A3/42AWG tele bridge pickup at 6k or less?

Anyone seen this spec, and if so have you used one? I have not seen an A3 tele bridge pickup with 42 gauge that is 6k or less. But i have one thats 6.4k and i like it but for one thing...like all A3 tele bridge pups i find them very middy. So i am thinking about pulling .4k (note the period...POINT 4, not 4k) or more off it in hopes that i can get rid of some of the nasally middiness. But never having seen one would that low has me wondering if theres a reason. Nt even sure if 6k would be low enough to change it in the way i want, and more then that will probably leave me with too weak a pickup. Anyways, any thoughts on this and whether it would be a likely fail that would leave me with a doorstop? I actually like the pickup tin all other respects so i'll likely just use it as is if i must, but if i could lose enough of those mids it wold be a great pickup. And no, i'm not going to use an EQ and destroy my neck pickup's tone that i am 100% happy with among other reasons.

A3 is fairly midrangey by nature, though usually in a nice vintagey way.
    IMO unwinding by a little is unlikely to change that by much.

My advice would be to replace it with a more typical A5 vintage wind pickup.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thats what was in it before and it;s a pretty bright tele. I tried a high wind A5 and lower and both were just a bit much because of this tele's bright nature. I tried the A3 for that very reason and it fixed the issue but added too much mid. I may just go back to the A5 and live with that fault which is the lesser of 2 evils. A3 destroys what i tele should sound like to me because of that nasal mid..
      Last edited by gimmieinfo; 10-05-2022, 10:55 PM.

Comment

A3 brings more mids mainly because it rises inductance more than any other alloy. It can't really be paired to underwound coils because it has a weaker magnetic field than any other alloy.

Theoretically possible solutions are...

-to increase the resistive load by mounting 500k or 1M pots. But it would/will work only if the resonant peak of the pickup is not located in the high mids;
        -to decrease stray capacitance - by using a buffer just at the output of the guitar, or a really short cable from guitar to amp, or a wireless transmitter without cable capacitance emulation, or a low capacitance cable - which is not necessarily expensive: the Sommer LLX has the lowest capacitance on the market, is not costly and is sturdy;
        -to decrease the inductance. That's exactly what would happen with 0.4k less wire on the coil and it can be done with a LR filter in parallel with the pickup, in the Bill Lawrence Q filter fashion - but it would/will weaken the output level and such a circuit ideally must be "tuned" with lab gear.

FWIW. :-)
        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

A3 = too middy. A5 = too bright. 42 g wire in a 6k Tele pup.
          Sounds like you should put a rough cast UOA5 mag in it. But I definitely would NOT take any windings off of it...it's on the weak side already.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            A3 = too middy. A5 = too bright. 42 g wire in a 6k Tele pup.
            Sounds like you should put a rough cast UOA5 mag in it.
            It's a tele bridge pickup with alnico poles.

Comment

Originally posted by gimmieinfo View Post

It's a tele bridge pickup with alnico poles.
              Yeah, of course, my bad.

I guess you can't get UOA5 rods?
              How about A4?

Comment

if its a vintage type pup where the coil is on the rods, dont pull the rods out

ive unwound pups before, gotta be careful but it can be done. takes a lot more time than you think. if you pull a few hundred turns off, it will be a little brighter and a little thinner and have a touch less output.

Comment

Try adjusting the pickup closer to the strings ,you can get the A3 rods a little closer than an A5

Comment

Not aware of anyone currently making one, but a Tele bridge with UA5 rods seems like a great idea.

Maybe something like a Broadcaster pickup would be a good choice here: finer wire, more winds.
                    If you're not sold on low output, some of the beefy Tele bridges have richer mids: Muy Grande, Paul Bunyan.
                    I love my Paul Bunyan. Still all Tele, just bigger.
                    Zhangbucker has lots of experience making unconventional Tele bridges and will customize to your wishes.

In readily available/less expensive options, maybe consider the Quarter Pound Tele?
                    Might be just the ticket for a bright, thin guitar - if you're okay with a hotter-than-vintage output.
                    It's still lower output than a truly hot pickup like a Hot Rails or the Tone Zone T.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Well, ya know what....I put the A5 back in and it sounds great now. It just hit me i haven't used it since i started using a different amp ! So while the A3 always sounded overly middy, i guess this amp has more mids so it started getting on my nerves more than before and the A5 now sounds more rounded. Issue solved !

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Nice; problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                          X