banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a difference in older JBs than newer versions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Dennis View Post

With respect, this is the kind of thing I am talking about. Your absolutely sure it has to be different, but it's based on nothing but your perceptions. If it's different, there must be objective measurements to back it up. If someone has them, I have not seen them
    My vintage JB (not a really early one, but circa '81-82) reads about 500Ω lighter in DCR than my two newer ones.
    I haven't measured the inductances but I now have a meter that can, so I'll get around to it one of these days.

I know it's only subjective, but to me the old one does sound - and feel - a bit different.
    Throatier mids, slightly more air in the highs, and noticeably better cleanup with the volume knob.
    Still sounds like a JB, just IMO a tad sweeter and more open than the 21st century ones.
    How much of that difference is due to the wind vs a forty-year-old magnet is anybody's guess.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Again, dont want to bring the oldest debate in Duncan Forum history, but for those of you that are somewhat new, go listen to this video on Youtube with headphones. There ARE differences, slight but still audible.

A 3 way comparison between the 3 different JB Models:The 35th Anniversary Commemorative JB, the Antiquity JB and a normal everyday production JB Model. Antiq...
      Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
      Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
        The Ant JB is the best version of the JB to my ears, although I have seen some originals with a RC A2 in them back in the early 80's.
        I listened very carefully to the sound samples on the SD site. I liked the JB 35th Anni best. The Ant JB sounded a bit blander. Some years ago i swapped a UA5 which i liked too, even better than my JBJ.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

In my experience the IB is a very fickle pickup. Can be pure magic is one guitar but in another similar guitar an absolute train wreck. I have a 95 Washburn USA MG 102 with a JB bridge that is just glorious. One of the best sounding ( and playing) guitars i have ever had in my hands. Have tried a JB in other similar Super Strats and they just didn't cut it tried a JB in one of my Kiesel neck through guitars and couldn't get it out of that guitar fast enough. It's not the pickup its the guitar it's in most of the time. In my experience a JB really shines in a light weight swamp Ash or basswood body super Strat. I have rarely been happy with one in anything else. The one exception was my one of under 100 produced Washburn Chicago Custom A30 Artist. Now that set neck Hondurious Mahogany neck and body guitar with the JB in the bridge was a monster!
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
          X