No announcement yet.

Something between A5 and A2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theoretically, the differences between A5 and A6 are 2% more nickel and 2% less iron in A6, with the related effect in terms of coercitive force: 780 Oersteds with A6, 640 with A6 if memory serves me.

So, an A6 should be slightly less inductive and a wee bit more powerful magnetically, all other parms being equal.

Practically, "other parms" vary:

2% less or more of nickel or iron in a mag matter way less if the mass differs (reason why a guy in my country was absurdly measuring a higher inductance with an A5 than with an A2, for example: his A5 had in fact 11% more mass than his A2) .

Magnetism changes according to the origin and "personal" history of a magnet. The lab Teslameter used here has virtually NEVER measured two mags exhibiting exactly the same charge and shape of magnetic field, for instance. Especially with rough cast mags.

That's why each magnet is potentially "its own thing". I wish I could find a video in which a guy tried various mags in a Gibson PAT: some mags didn't change the tone while they were meant to be of different alloys. Some supposedly made of the same alloy altered the sound in an unexpected way. Expected differences could be noticed too, but only for 1/3 of the sample or something like that.

So, iI find risky to say that "AlNi(Co) this does this and AlNi(Co) that does that". There's certainly tendencies due to the objective properties of each alloy BUT if things were so clear, other winders wouldn't evoke different tones from a "same" alloy:

I want to try a magnet swap on the neck pickup in my calibrated T-Type ES-335. It’s currently running alnico 5 and would like to swap for 2. Knowing nothing about pickup design, I’m wondering 2 things. 1. Do I run the risk of creating a mess because the pickup wasn’t designed for alnico 2...

ThroBak Alnico guitar pickup magnets reproduce the tone and metallurgy of vintage PAF guitar pickups magnets and vintage P90 guitar pickups magnets. Made in USA.

Which bring me back to my own mantra : I prefer to try various mags in a pickup, without expecting stable results from the alloys or indivdual magnets involved. YMMV. :-)
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

I don’t think the A6 is somewhere in between the A2 and A5, if you drew a line between the two, like the A4 is for example.

It’s in a different line if you will. It’s not just less mids and more volume than an A2 but less scooped and less volume than an A5. I think it’s more its own thing.
      It's more a variation of A5, not half way between A2 and A5.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

It's more a variation of A5, not half way between A2 and A5.
        Exactly.

Comment

Working...
        X