Fender humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender humbuckers

I was wondering if there are any good Fender humbuckers for rock/metal. I know they have the Shawbuckers out now but these are about 8-10k I think. I am concerned they would be underpowered.

I remember various pickups under older names--Atomic, Diamondback, Twinhead, etc., but I'm not up to speed on the intricacies of each pickup. Some resources I've seen say that these are largely the same pickups with name changes for marketing purposes.

The point is to find something that I would like that matches Fender single coils in an HSS guitar. I've never played any Fender pickups but of the ones I've heard the Fat 50s sound nice.

I prefer a 50s style sound from single coils anyway unless the bridge pickup necessitates something hotter for a better match. No hum canceling singles, please.

I know I could use another brand in the bridge but I generally like staying with the same manufacturer throughout a guitar to avoid any phase issues, etc.

Thanks.

If you like the sound of the singles, track down a Pearly Gates Plus from an old Lone Star Strat. It balances well, and is suited to many styles.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's hard to find something that balances well with singles and has a great rock/metal tone. I prefer the screamin demon, because it's lower output but can still be tight on the low end.

Comment

I still really like the older Fender Atomic Humbucker in my Highway One Strat. It is like a JB with tighter bass, and without the mid hump. Like a Screaming Demon with more mids. Works well with 250k pots too.
        You have to be careful buying those used, however. You want the ones wound around 16K+. There were some under 15k, and some neck pickups wound much lower that were called Atomic humbuckers too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
          I still really like the older Fender Atomic Humbucker in my Highway One Strat. It is like a JB with tighter bass, and without the mid hump. Like a Screaming Demon with more mids. Works well with 250k pots too.
          You have to be careful buying those used, however. You want the ones wound around 16K+. There were some under 15k, and some neck pickups wound much lower that were called Atomic humbuckers too.
          Agree here as well. The early-mid 2000s era Atomic Humbuckers sound great (the hot version). I had a 2003 HWY1 Strat I should have never sold. Also, Duncan Screamin Demon and 59/Custom Hybrid would work great as well.
          Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
          Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

EVH Wolfgang pickups are Fender pups and sound great(and very similar to a Custom Custom)! Also +1 on the Pearly Gates Plus or the regular Pearly Gates bridge pickup, those are fantastic in Strats!
            Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
            Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
            Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
            Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

They currently use the pearly gates plus in the bridge of the HH FMT tele
              It's funny how some stories became historic,
              especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
              But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

I have the same question. I’ve got a 2007 Highway one strat and want to make it HSS. Definitely leaning towards a Pearly Gates be the best for versatility and some Seymour strat single coils.

Comment

In the one I built, I settled on a 59/Custom Hybrid, Classic Stack, and Five Two. I wanted all positions to be hum-cancelling, though.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a PG+ in my Strat, which has Fender Texas Specials also. Love it.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                    X