No announcement yet.

Series wiring for pos. 2 and 4 with three single coils and 5 way switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMHO series + out of phase is the most useful.

Comment

Yep, series + OOP is interesting. With TriSonic's, it can even give a very convincing Rickenbacker tone.

That said, if the series + OOP wiring involves Bridge+Mid or Mid+Neck, it works better IME/IMHO if the pickups are not too underwound and/or are different. The weakest and most similar they are, the thinnest the sound risks to be. That's why I've mounted a Beefier TriSonic in mid position of my Bison and modified the neck one (pulling off its metallic baseplate changed its inductance and Q factor for the best).

In my main Strat with strictly identical pickups, I've mitigated the OOP B+M and M+N options by adding resistors. This guitar is wired according to the Armstrong idea but with a push-pull instead of the pot, FWIW.

For people who use Quaterpounds or Schecter F500 like pickups, B+M or M+N OOP will work better because such pickups are beefy enough to avoid the thin sound mentioned above. IME/IMHO.
      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

How do you use the OOP? The volume drop was so significant when I’ve tried it that it was unusable for me.

I like the idea of using pickups with different output to avoid some volume drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
          How do you use the OOP? The volume drop was so significant when I’ve tried it that it was unusable for me.

I like the idea of using pickups with different output to avoid some volume drop.
          I've had the volume drop with humbuckers way more so than singles. A few ways to mitigate I can think of: slightly different output pickups, or separate volumes, or even a small adjustable resistor or even a fixed value resistor on one of the pickups.

Comment

Yes, OOP is far more useable with pickups whose output level and location are not too close from each others. Hence the interest to use the volume controls when both pickups are enabled and OOP in a LP, for instance.

With two pickups of exactly the same output at the same place but wired OOP, the output would be of exactly zero dB. It's not doable physically but the Line6 Variax Workbench allows to do that, if memory serves me (I've not used it for years but I vaguely remember to have noticed what I evoke and to have thought that it was totally making sense).

If a guitar has only one single volume pot, resistors can be used to mismatch the output levels of OOP pickups and make them louder/fuller sounding. As I said, that's what I have put in my main Strat. :-)

Comment

He's using it for a bass you fooz, oop isn't going to work.

Didn’t know, sorry! Not a problem on organ though?
              F it. Just gonna go lefty to be like Cobain.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                He's using it for a bass you fooz, oop isn't going to work.
                Why not? I've wired a bass OOP for my son and it works. :-)

Comment

For full info this is for a Bass VI kind of instrument. It’s cheap but the pickups to my surprise sound good. And I like the middle position best for bassy lines. I don’t like the parallel sounds but I thought that doing some wiring to get them in series would really help to give a more bass like tone when necessary.
                  He wants a bassier tone, not a thinner tone. :P
                  I bought them for you

Comment

He wants a bassier tone, not a thinner tone. :P
                    Yes and the Armstrong wiring offers a bassier tone as well thx to a series connection doable with a normal selector, as requested by the OP. That's why I've shared the related schematic. :-)

That said and to be clear, my rambling about OOP was more a way to think out loud than to reply to specific needs. I'm noisy sometimes. <:O)

Comment

Clint is right, for this one it’s not going to work, but I got other guitars that I was thinking of

I recently messed up a magnet switch in a HH so I had OOP sounds so I figured I could give it another try but it didn’t work for me. These tips make sense and are good.

For the Bass VI I’m set on adding the push pull for series.

Comment

F it. Just gonna go lefty to be like Cobain.
                        You could hold a pick fine ?

Or just go three fingers like Django.

Comment

You could hold a pick fine ?
                          Yeah, I'm gonna flip the nut and setup to lefty on my guitars and be like Cobain.

I bought them for you

Comment

Yeah, I'm gonna flip the nut and setup to lefty on my guitars and be like Cobain.
                            Hopefully a better player and more of a sane person.

Comment

I have mental illness on both sides of the family.
                              Last edited by Clint 55; 11-28-2022, 06:49 PM.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

I have mental illness on both sides of the family.
                                ❤️

Comment

Working...
                                X