Series wiring for pos. 2 and 4 with three single coils and 5 way switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series wiring for pos. 2 and 4 with three single coils and 5 way switch

Howdy folks - is there a way to wire three single coils with a standard five way switch to be
    N
    M+N in series
    M
    M+B in series
    B

Without an additional switch?
    ie replacing the usual in between position for series.

You'll need to use a superswitch but it's doable, I think.

Comment

I was trying to avoid getting a switch. I would just use a Megaswitch M if I have to buy something.

Comment

Yeah, you need a new switch. Does the M do that? I know a super switch can.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If the Schaller Megaswitch does or can do it, I expect there will be a circuit diagram on their website.

You wont be able to do it with a atandard 5-way because you need to control 3 pickup hots and 2 grounds.

Let me think about it.

Comment

I remembered the M did something similar but you lose the middle pickup (it become N+B in series like a tele 4th pos.) which is usually fine by me but not in this case.

Yeah, I didn’t think it was possible but I thought I’d ask since you guys come up with stuff unknown to me all the time

Edit: removed wrong info to avoid further confusion
            Last edited by Blille; 11-23-2022, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Yeah, the M's middle position is the outer 2 pickups in series. You might need a Superswitch to do what you want.

Comment

I saw a clip where you can use a regular 5 way switch and ur 2nd tone knob to roll the notch positions into series.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  I saw a clip where you can use a regular 5 way switch and ur 2nd tone knob to roll the notch positions into series.
                  That sounds interesting. I have a 1982 'The Strat' that has a few series positions. It always seemed too thick for me, like running in wet boots.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ArmstrongStratWiringRed.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	6207416

I guess the video mentioned by Clint 55 involves this ol' and clever wiring trick from Dan Armstrong. I leave it here for the record. More later maybe and if time permits... :-)
                    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                      It’s the S that does those positions.

Positions 2 and 4 are parallel in that top diagram. The S is a standard Strat switch, it doesn't do series in 2 and 4.

The M can do series in 2 and 4, but that will also make the middle position be the outside coils in series.

The problem is to put two different pickups in series, you have to move the ground of one to the hot of the other, so you need enough switch lugs to move at least 3 wires ().

The Armstrong diagram is an ingenious way to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Positions 2 and 4 are parallel in that top diagram. The S is a standard Strat switch, it doesn't do series in 2 and 4.

The M can do series in 2 and 4, but that will also make the middle position be the outside coils in series.

The problem is to put two different pickups in series, you have to move the ground of one to the hot of the other, so you need enough switch lugs to move at least 3 wires ().

The Armstrong diagram is an ingenious way to get there.
                        You’re absolutely right, I clearly wasn’t paying attention.

This is the M wiring I was referring to earlier which I’ve used but like you said does not have the middle position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

This should work with a regular 5-way switch.

It works by controlling how the middle ground is connected. In P1 and P5 it's not connected at all, so the middle is dead. In P2 and P4 the middle ground connects to either the bridge or neck hots, respectively. In P3 is connected directly to ground.

Connecting the tone pots requires thinking about still. Easy enough with s Ingle tone pot Telecaster style, just connect it parallel to the volume pot. Two tone pots needs thinking about to prevent shorts, however.

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	ArmstrongStratWiringRed.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	6207416

I guess the video mentioned by Clint 55 involves this ol' and clever wiring trick from Dan Armstrong. I leave it here for the record. More later maybe and if time permits... :-)
                            Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            This is great, it may just be the ticket.

For full info this is for a Bass VI kind of instrument. It’s cheap but the pickups to my surprise sound good. And I like the middle position best for bassy lines.

I don’t like the parallel sounds but I thought that doing some wiring to get them in series would really help to give a more bass like tone when necessary. Doing it with a pot it’s even better. It only has a tone control but I don’t mind giving it up for this functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

^ That's good. You have a bass 6? I'm really liking mine. Although I used a 6 string bass but I put strings on for a bass 6 tuning. No switching between 2 fretboards to go between guitar and bass, it's great.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

That sounds interesting. I have a 1982 'The Strat' that has a few series positions. It always seemed too thick for me, like running in wet boots.
                              I like fat compressed sounds but switching from vintage strat to ultra beefy had me going
                              The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X