banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tone difference when flipping the magnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone difference when flipping the magnet?

Hi there!
    One of my guitars has a SD 59/Custom Hybrid bridge humbucker. Before I installed it, I flipped the magnet, because the original wiring schematic of the guitar required it (for a coil split mode in middle position).
    However, I'm now wondering if this makes any difference to the sound of the pickup in bridge only position. If so, I may flip the magnet back to its original orientation and change the wiring on the guitar.
    Also, since the 59/custom hybrid has two different coils, would it make a difference to the sound whether the screw coil is on the side of the bridge or the other way around?

Mag no.

Coil orientation, yes.

Comment

Thanks for your reply!
      So, when the magnet is flipped, screw coil should still be on the bridge side to get the intended tone for the pickup?

Comment

Depends whether you want the screw coil or the slug coil.

If you flipped the magnet I hope you wired it back in green hot black ground, otherwise its going to be out of phase with the neck (assuming that's a SD humbucker as well).

Comment

It makes no difference to the sound of that pickup only to flip the mag. If your diagram is correct, everything is good.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 11-23-2022, 12:13 AM.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

The issue with turning the pickup 180 degrees is that in a Hybrid the two coils are radically different.
            It'd make for much more of a change in tone with this one than it would with most Duncans.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
            X