Neck pickup recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck pickup recommendations

Looking for recommendations for a neck pickup in my LP. Bridge pickup is a Custom Custom. Im looking for it to cover classic through modern rock/hard rock. Im not necessarily looking for a “metal” pickup. It’s not really my thing.
    I’d like something that has a round, tubular tone under gain and a full warm clean sound.

I’ve been using a Dimarzio Bluesbucker and I like it but it’s not quite there for me. Currently I have an Air Classic, which I don’t love. It’s too thick and bassy.
    I have a Fokin pickup in my Kramer Focus and it’s pretty damn near what I’m looking for. But that guitar is alder so I’m not sure if it will sound the same in a mahogany guitar?
    I also have a BKP Rebel Yell that is a contender.
    Im leaning towards a Dimarzio only because it want the double cream look. But I’m open to any suggestions for any brand.

Ideas??
    Thanks

I’d probably try a jazz or full shred neck
    Don’t let the names fool you.
    dimarzio no idea. Maybe the satriani neck bucker paf Joe? I remember liking that
    Playing:
    Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
    Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
    Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
    Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

I think the '59 would do what you're asking.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

How about the A2P or Slash...?

Comment

In no order or reasons as to why, other than I think they sound good, a 59, a 490r, a Sentient, or a Ibanez Super 70 if you can find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
            Im leaning towards a Dimarzio only because it want the double cream look. But I’m open to any suggestions for any brand.

Ideas??
            Thanks
            Look into EJ Custom neck or with a little less highs, the Humbucker from Hell!
            Last edited by hamerfan; 11-23-2022, 12:56 PM.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by skelt101 View Post
              How about the A2P or Slash...?
              I hadn’t thought of the Slash. I am a big fan of A2 mag pickups. I’ll check out some YouTube vids.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                I think the '59 would do what you're asking.
                A friend had one in his LP. It did sound good.

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
                  In no order or reasons as to why, other than I think they sound good, a 59, a 490r, a Sentient, or a Ibanez Super 70 if you can find one.
                  I’ve got a Sentient in a 7 string Ibby. In that guitar at least, it isn’t what I’m looking for.
                  I’ll have to look into the Super 70. I know absolutely nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post

Look into EJ Custom neck or with a little less highs, the Humbucker from Hell!
                    The Dimarzio pickup selector picked the HfH too. I’ll have to look into both if those.

Comment

The PAF Joe sounds KILLER

Comment

59 with an A4 was the final solution for me for the above music.

Other contenders with a Custom Custom might be:
                        Pearly Gates neck
                        Whole Lotta Humbucker neck
                        Seth Lover
                        Jazz neck
                        A2P neck

DiMarzio 36th was good but not as clear as Duncans

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

I hadn’t thought of the Slash. I am a big fan of A2 mag pickups. I’ll check out some YouTube vids.
                          These would be my suggestions. They work well with the Custom Custom, and both are warm and buttery. The Slash has a little more treble.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I ended up ordering a PAF Joe from the Dimarzio website in double cream. I hope it sounds as good as the YouTube videos I saw!!

Comment

I would have suggested maybe an SNS neck. But let us know how the Joe sounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X