Anyone put an A2 magnet in a JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone put an A2 magnet in a JB?

I very well may pickup a Epiphone Les Paul and I was thinking of putting a Screamin' Demon in the neck with a JB in the bridge. I was wondering though if the JB ends up sounding too hard or brittle if I could have some success putting an A2 magnet in it to smoothen out the highs.

A2 does warm up the JB a lot. It's a cool sound. I like it because it's mega-chewy. It has all those juicy mids but it lowers them and chewy-izes them. I recommend it to anyone who likes fat sounds.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 12-01-2022, 11:09 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

An A2 will reduce some of the high end brightness and soften the bass. It will also add some mids (which the JB doesn't need).

But the bottom line is that it still sounds like a JB, just softer and mushier.

It's a shame to waste a Demon pairing it with a JB. I would be inclined to just start out with a Custom 5 and the Demon...much better pair imo.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by 357mag View Post
        I very well may pickup a Epiphone Les Paul
        hehehehehehe
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

The JB2 is a thing. Many people dig it. It costs a buck to try it. Why not?
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have a JB2. It sounds like a really loud Whole Lotta Humbucker.

Comment

I've done it too, but like others said, it is still JB ish. It isn't much warmer, and it doesn't get rid of the thing I don't like about the JB.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My personal fav is an unoriented A5 in the JB. This is a mix between an A2 and A5 soundwise.
                I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  An A2 will reduce some of the high end brightness and soften the bass. It will also add some mids (which the JB doesn't need).

But the bottom line is that it still sounds like a JB, just softer and mushier.

It's a shame to waste a Demon pairing it with a JB. I would be inclined to just start out with a Custom 5 and the Demon...much better pair imo.
                  I've tried the Custom and it is too brittle and hard. A Custom Custom yes but not a Custom.

Comment

Custom 5 is a different animal. Custom 5 does pair well with a Demon and/or Full Shred. It works well with allen head screw pole pickups. Custom 5 is like a louder Jazz Bridge.

Comment

I had one for a while. In the end it didn't do much for me.

While it took the edge off the JB's mid peak, (I think it makes the mid peak smoother rather than actually reducing it) I also found it too chewy - or however you want to describe the loose characteristic that A2 imparts.

Comment

Originally posted by 357mag View Post

I've tried the Custom and it is too brittle and hard. A Custom Custom yes but not a Custom.
                        You are correct...the Custom is hard and brittle. My recommendation was for the Custom 5.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yes I have tried the Custom 5 too and it is a good pickup. I can turn my pickup into a Custom 5 or a Custom Custom depending which magnet I put in it.

Comment

I personal tried the JB8 - all kinds of love for that!

Still loud as F. Took the edge off the highs, de-mid spiked it, tightened up the bass a touch. Overall, it sounded like a cross between a Distortion and a SuperDistortion, in all kinds of good ways.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

See I am liking the A2 magnet more and more. I want my guitars to have a sweet, smooth, sound. Kinda with maple syrup running down. I also have an Alnico II Pro which is what I believe Slash uses.

Comment

Working...
                              X