Resistor On My STK-S7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistor On My STK-S7?

Greetings,,, 2 questions; What is that tiny resistor on the back of my STK-S7 doing? My middle & neck 4's don't have one,,, so I wonder.... Also, would my #2 B+M position be noticeably brighter if I had a 4 + 4 rather
    than the 7 +4, (bridge & middle respectively...
    As always, thanks all~ॐ
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20221202_234554.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	6208843 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221202_234618.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	6208844
    Attached Files

If memory serves, the resistor is there for an optimal balance between noise sensor coil and signal coil.

Regarding B+M, it will be brighter with weaker pickups but there's other ways to brighten it than changing pickups. Using a blender volume pot to add the neck PU in parallel to B+M by a small amount can contribute to this goal, for instance. Or adding an inductor / "tone choke" of 2 Henry or more in parallel with the existing pickups. Non limitative list.
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Yes, I believe it is there to fine tune the noise cancelling of of the 2 coils.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

and MINCER,, your thought on a 4/4 B+M, as opposed to my existing 7/4 B+M for a brighter, funkier #2 it..?
        Thanks ॐ

Comment

You will absolutely get a brighter, funkier sound with the 4 & 4. It is more traditionally 'strat-like'. The -7 is good if you don't depend on the B+M as the core of your sound and want a thicker, louder bridge pickup.

Comment

I didn't try it myself, but instead of changing your STK-S7 here's some options:
            1- Remove the STK-S7 from the tone pot.
            2- Replace the 250k bridge tone pot with a 500k/1M tone pot.
            3- Replace the 250k volume pot with a 500k pot and solder a 470k resistor to ground on the switch for the neck and middle.

My STK-S7 is pretty bright and I need to run it on its own tone pot.

Comment

DONALDR & MINCE.... I had a 400k CTS for Volume, & a typical 250k on the tone (who's value I didn't think matter, from what I've read), & I usually make it a Tone on Bridge only set-up,,, so my M & N are never being loaded or affected by the Tone pot unless it's tied to the B in the 2 & 4.... Before i hit the hay well past midnite, I swapped the 404k Volume for a 1M,, i didn't put in my body yet, but the 'tap-test' hinted at what sounded like a generous helping of high end...

SO, am I hearing that the value of the Tone pot does in fact matter & make a difference,, but precisely in what way?? I know a lot, but there's more that I don't know....
              All you folks are great, & thank you~ kenny ॐ
              Last edited by zozoe; 12-03-2022, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Are you saying that the tone did indeed affect the middle and neck, even though it isn't wired to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by zozoe View Post
                  SO, am I hearing that the value of the Tone pot does in fact matter & make a difference,, but precisely in what way??
                  The value of a tone pot contributes to the overall "resistive load", with its tendency to squash the resonant peak of a pickup.

See fig. 14 here: http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/

The neck and mid PUs of a std Strat see 83k (250k vol + TWO 250k tone pots in parallel). The mid and bridge see 125k (250k volume + tone of the mid PU). The bridge PU sees 250k (volume alone)...

With a 400k + a 250k, resistive load = 154k. With a 1M + 250k, resistive load = 200k.

The maximum brightness would be achieved with a no load tone pot, reducing the resistive load to the DCR of the volume control alone.

FWIW: a simple reminder. HTH.
                  Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

freefrog Thanks a lot, well explained

Comment

Working...
                    X