No announcement yet.

high dc resistance for neck?? opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high dc resistance for neck?? opinions?

hello all.....i am swapping out pickups (hopefully) this weekend in a guitar and ran into a snag....maybe? the neck pickup i was sent(in a package labeled "neck" pickup, actually has the resistance of the corresponding bridge pickup; so, i think it is obvious that i was sent a bridge pickup in neck pickup packaging.

the resistance for the neck pickup i was wanting to use is supposed to be 8.56, the pickup i got reads 11.44, which is almost exactly what the bridge model is supposed to read. i should probably just send it back and get teh pickup i was trying to get, but i can't help but wonder what this beast would sound like in the neck? also, it is a stacked humbucking single coil(dimarzio injector)

any thoughts? will this high resistance be too loud or sound awful...or would it sound great?

thanks in advance!

Some people like them, but I find high output neck pickups tend to be muddy and undefined.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by ISHIELDS View Post
      hello all.....i am swapping out pickups (hopefully) this weekend in a guitar and ran into a snag....maybe? the neck pickup i was sent(in a package labeled "neck" pickup, actually has the resistance of the corresponding bridge pickup; so, i think it is obvious that i was sent a bridge pickup in neck pickup packaging.

the resistance for the neck pickup i was wanting to use is supposed to be 8.56, the pickup i got reads 11.44, which is almost exactly what the bridge model is supposed to read. i should probably just send it back and get teh pickup i was trying to get, but i can't help but wonder what this beast would sound like in the neck? also, it is a stacked humbucking single coil(dimarzio injector)

any thoughts? will this high resistance be too loud or sound awful...or would it sound great?

thanks in advance!
      Hi,

Generally speaking, DCR is not always due to more turns of wire: it can simply be due to a thinner wire gauge, creating more resistance for the same number or turns. And for a same number of turns, the use of a thinner wire can actually give a lower output, precisely because the wire is more resistive...

That's why DCR is not really meaningful, especially with stacked humbuckers whose second coil is there to cancel the noise and not to hear the strings : a DiMarzio HS-3 measures almost 24k and has an "official" output of 93mv (quieter than any regular Strat SC).

Regarding the Injector's, now: the bridge one is rated by DiMarzio @ 185mv. The lower DCR neck model, at 160mv. Both are therefore hotter anyway than the 120 or 130 mv of an average Strat single coil. I guess that an Injector B set slightly lower under the strings would do the same job than a neck one, albeit probably with a wee bit darker sound - the mv rating published by DiMarzio suggesting a higher inductance for the bridge injector and inductance being one of the really important factors with pickups (beside magnetism, of course): my 12k (!) Jackson J200 stacked humbuckers measure the same inductance than a Fender Custom 69 and sound accordingly in neck / mid positions. :-)

Now the choice is yours. But for the record, I've more than once mounted bridge PU's in neck position without real issues. And vintage guitars built when pickups were not yet calibrated often host hotter PU's in neck or mid positions than in the bridge slot.

FWIW. HTH. Do what you want and be happy. :-)
      Last edited by freefrog; 12-08-2022, 01:16 AM.
      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

what great responses! thank you both!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          Some people like them, but I find high output neck pickups tend to be muddy and undefined.
          I have the same opinion. High output pickups do not work in the neck for what I do. Saying that generally I won't used anything over 9 K in the neck but have used a few bridge models in the neck in the 8 K range with success. It all depends on the pickup.
          Any pickup will be louder in the neck than the bridge and for me to much output in the neck looses definition and also can easily throw the balance off between a neck and bridge setting. As an example I really like the Dimarizo Liqufier that is mostly used in the neck in the bridge but find it to hot and muddy for me in the neck.
          Last edited by Ascension; 12-08-2022, 08:09 AM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post

Hi,

Generally speaking, DCR is not always due to more turns of wire: it can simply be due to a thinner wire gauge, creating more resistance for the same number or turns. And for a same number of turns, the use of a thinner wire can actually give a lower output, precisely because the wire is more resistive...

That's why DCR is not really meaningful, especially with stacked humbuckers whose second coil is there to cancel the noise and not to hear the strings : a DiMarzio HS-3 measures almost 24k and has an "official" output of 93mv (quieter than any regular Strat SC).

Regarding the Injector's, now: the bridge one is rated by DiMarzio @ 185mv. The lower DCR neck model, at 160mv. Both are therefore hotter anyway than the 120 or 130 mv of an average Strat single coil. I guess that an Injector B set slightly lower under the strings would do the same job than a neck one, albeit probably with a wee bit darker sound - the mv rating published by DiMarzio suggesting a higher inductance for the bridge injector and inductance being one of the really important factors with pickups (beside magnetism, of course): my 12k (!) Jackson J200 stacked humbuckers measure the same inductance than a Fender Custom 69 and sound accordingly in neck / mid positions. :-)

Now the choice is yours. But for the record, I've more than once mounted bridge PU's in neck position without real issues. And vintage guitars built when pickups were not yet calibrated often host hotter PU's in neck or mid positions than in the bridge slot.

FWIW. HTH. Do what you want and be happy. :-)
            Spot on here!
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

If these were bought new, I would definitely exchange it for the correct pickup because if it wasn’t mistakenly a bridge model, it’s wildly out of tolerance. Either way the dealer and/or Dimarzio would want to track down the reason for the failure.

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
                Regarding the Injector's, now: the bridge one is rated by DiMarzio @ 185mv. The lower DCR neck model, at 160mv. Both are therefore hotter anyway than the 120 or 130 mv of an average Strat single coil. I guess that an Injector B set slightly lower under the strings would do the same job than a neck one, albeit probably with a wee bit darker sound - the mv rating published by DiMarzio suggesting a higher inductance for the bridge injector and inductance being one of the really important factors with pickups (beside magnetism, of course)
                I've got an Injector set in one of my guitars . . . and would definitely not want to swap the bridge into the neck. The neck is borderline not bright enough and even with a 500k tone pot it's straddling the line between single coil and humbucker tone wise.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

No way to tell. Just have to try it and see. What anybody here likes has no bearing on what you will like. I've used a Norton and a JB in the neck position and loved both of them for everything from clean jazz to funk to metal. Definitely not muddy or undefined. I'm probably an outlier here but still, just try things and see what happens. You also have pickup height and volume controls to mess with.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                  http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I've got an Injector set in one of my guitars . . . and would definitely not want to swap the bridge into the neck. The neck is borderline not bright enough and even with a 500k tone pot it's straddling the line between single coil and humbucker tone wise.
                    I've no direct experience myself with these pickups, so, thx for sharing.

That said, the sound of passive pickups is so dependent on other parms... I remember to have transplanted a neck PU from my LP (where it was way too dark) in a PRS copy where it was perfect. Not to mention how tone can change according to resistive load, stray capacitance of wiring + cable and input impedance of pedals/amp... Tonal results can be surprising sometimes. :-)
                    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

High output neck can be great for playing single note lines and "singing" melodies. It's not my thing, but it can work for some people

Comment

As others have said, DCR isn't a reliable gauge for output.
                        But if the pickup you got is way off the published spec for that model, I'd exchange it.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I have owned a few and played other guitars with the Duncan Distortion Mayhem set in them. I thought the Distortion Neck pup sounded pretty damn good honestly. I was very surprised.
                          Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                          Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

The best answer to your questions is..."it depends".

It depends on the specific pup,
                            It depends on the guitar that it's going into,
                            And it depends on what you like

I've used lots of bridge pups in the neck with absolutely great results...even some pups as high as 12k. A stacked single coil pup at 11.44k is not so high, actually. A lot of that resistance is from the inactive coil.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Soooo, I went on and gave the mislabeled pickup a shot in the neck position. High end was VERY articulate and clean...shred lines on the d-high e were magnificent; but, anything in the lower register was muddy garbage. As well, the pickup may be defective as it was anything but "humbucking". After removing the pickup, I contacted the vendor as they would probably want to know....and they are sending me the correct (I hope this time) neck pickup and I can't wait; I'm sure that a nondefective neck version of the injector will sound incredible for what I want to use it for!

Comment

Working...
                              X