High-gain passive recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ProgMXCnerd70 View Post

I would be using a Triple Rectifier model on my Firehawk FX with a Precision Drive in front to tighten it up. I have it running through a V30 type IR.
    I've also thought about the Bare Knuckle Juggernaut or the DiMarzio Illuminators, as well as the SD line. It's going into a super strat-type 6 string tuned to Drop A#.
    I'd say the Black Winters would do the job well, but consider the Pegasus/Sentient if you want (or need) less mids and more highs and lows.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I'd say the Black Winters would do the job well, but consider the Pegasus/Sentient if you want (or need) less mids and more highs and lows.
      Okay great! I'll definitely be trying out the Black Winters in the near future.

Comment

I absolutely love the Black Winter. I do think it has a pretty focused upper midrange, but I've never considered it to be vowel-like. I would say it's more emphatic than even a JB. Not because it necessarily has more upper mids than a JB, but because it definitely has much less lower mid stuffiness. I don't normally consider upper midrange to ve vowel-like, honestly. For me, that's more of a core mid thing like a tube screamer.
        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-04-2023, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          I absolutely love the Black Winter. I do think it has a pretty focused upper midrange, but I've never considered it to be vowel-like. I would say it's more emphatic than even a JB. Not because it necessarily has more upper mids than a JB, but because it definitely has much less lower mid stuffiness. I don't normally consider upper midrange to ve vowel-like, honestly. For me, that's more of a core mid thing like a tube screamer.
          Okay gotcha. I played around with EQ on my Firehawk and found that the vowel sound tends to come from around 1-1.1kHz or 5kHz. Would the Black Winter sit somewhere near there or further away?
          Last edited by ProgMXCnerd70; 01-05-2023, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Okay gotcha. I played around with EQ on my Firehawk and found that the vowel sound tends to come from around 1-1.1kHz or 5kHz. Would the Black Winter sit somewhere near there or further away?
            No, yeah. That's high mids and treble alright. I just think more of the nasal kind of vowel sound around 500-1000 range. But I guess we're hearing things differently.

You'll like the Black Winter alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              No, yeah. That's high mids and treble alright. I just think more of the nasal kind of vowel sound around 500-1000 range. But I guess we're hearing things differently.

You'll like the Black Winter alright.
              Sweet. Thanks for the extra info, btw!

Comment

Another Black Winter vote here, I love the hell out of mine
                https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

I think one of the most under looked/under-discussed aspects of the Black Winter is how well it responds to the VOLUME knob. I cannot remember a pickup that responds to the VOLUME knob better. When using high gain, if you roll back the VOLUME it is like a time machine. The pickup gets less compressed, and the voice moves from modern to classic. It is as if there are 2 - 3 distinctly different pickups in the guitar.

Comment

Have to check out the Black winters from so many here saying they respond well to touch and the guitar volume. This is something most high gain ceramic mag sets flat wont do,
                    The Sentient is if not my absolute favorite Duncan neck pickup certainly one of them. Just wish it came in something other than just the matt black with black polls without having to order a floor custom. I personally like pairing the Sentient with the Alt 8 or the Perpetaual Burn in particular. The Alt 8 / Sentient in the right guitar is just pure magic! They match very well in tone response and output and also sound really good when split together.
                    Here is a Alt8/ Sentient combo in my 93 solid KOA Carvin DC 127 through my Boogie Subway.

Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

X2N Power Plus

Comment

Hey guys, got the Black Winter and installed it. I like it a lot, but I’m finding it to be pretty bassy. It seems to take a lot to get the percussive lows that I like. The mids are there, but the highs and lows seem muddy. I installed it in a Peavey Rockmaster as my mod guitar and I’ve lowered the bass side a good amount, so could it just be my guitar?

Comment

Could be the ax. I am not going to hash on your instrument, but a Rockmaster is a very entry-level budget guitar. The stolen tone could be the pots or anything between the pickups and the amp. The bridge and hardware could also be having a significant effect. I would try wiring the pickup directly to the jack and see what you get.

Comment

Hey guys, got the Black Winter and installed it. I like it a lot, but I’m finding it to be pretty bassy. It seems to take a lot to get the percussive lows that I like. The mids are there, but the highs and lows seem muddy. I installed it in a Peavey Rockmaster as my mod guitar and I’ve lowered the bass side a good amount, so could it just be my guitar?
                            Does the Rockmaster have the bridge pickup kinda faraway from the bridge?

The Black Winter is anything but bassy.

Comment

It could also just be the drop A# tuning also. What string gauge are you using? Once you get into that low of a tuning, you have to consider more than just the pickups in your guitar. From your description in seems it might be time to experiment with a 7 string.
                              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Thanks for all the advice so far! The Rockmaster has the pickup pretty close to the bridge. I’m currently using 13-62 gauge strings and have previously used 11-56 gauge and still found the bass to be a problem. I do have a 7-string, but it’s also an entry level and has the same issue with the Bare Knuckle Impulse. I’m leaning more towards this being a cheap electronics issue, but I’ll have to test it out

Comment

Working...
                                X