Changing from Active to Passive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing from Active to Passive

Hi everyone, I have an ESP E-II m1 NT guitar. Single EMG 81, one volume knob, and a string thru bridge. I'm considering changing over to a passive pickup...thinking of a duncan JB. Could anyone walk me through the steps on how to do the swap and what I will need? I have experience with soldering and swapping out passive for passive pickups.. I believe I will need a higher rated pot for going passive? 500k?

I appreciate the help !

500k pot, and you'll need to run a ground wire to your bridge. That's about the only difference from a typical swap.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I did an active to passive swap on my B.C. Rich Mockingbird. I ended up gutting the electronics and rewiring the entire guitar. The stock wire was a very cheap. I also removed the battery holder because I found it was rattling without a battery in it

Last edited by Securb; 01-14-2023, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Your guitar will probably have the smaller metric size pots with 8mm threads, and metric spline knobs. If you get Alpha branded pots or equivalent, its likely a direct fit and you can probably keep the same knobs as well. It would be an idea to disassemble and confirm before ordering the pots, in case I'm wrong about that. Personally I use Linear Volume (500k-B), and Audio taper Tone (500k-A) pots, so that is an aspect that depends on preference. You will also need to change the tone caps to 0.022uF. It is possible to reuse the Stereo 1/4" jack if you like, but I would normally swap it for a mono Jack, then the original parts wiring can be easily re-fitted if you ever wish to reverse the change.
        Last edited by Teleplayer; 01-14-2023, 10:23 PM.

Comment

^THIS! I did have to ream out the holes for the new pots to get them to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
            Your guitar will probably have the smaller metric size pots with 8mm threads, and metric spline knobs. If you get Alpha branded pots or equivalent, its likely a direct fit and you can probably keep the same knobs as well. It would be an idea to disassemble and confirm before ordering the pots, in case I'm wrong about that. Personally I use Linear Volume (500k-B), and Audio taper Tone (500k-A) pots, so that is an aspect that depends on preference. You will also need to change the tone caps to 0.022uF. It is possible to reuse the Stereo 1/4" jack if you like, but I would normally swap it for a mono Jack, then the original parts wiring can be easily re-fitted if you ever wish to reverse the change.

Comment

Teleplayer - thanks for your reply. I know i posted this months ago. As for the volume pot size, you're referring to the diameter of the hole where the volume pot sits in ? I'm new to this. I appreciate your help! I posted a photo of my guitar too

Comment

Yes. I mean the size of 8mm is likely to be the diameter of the threaded section of the the volume pot where it mounts into your guitar. There would be an 8mm hole drilled for the controls so its an approximately close fit. The outer dimension of the volume control can be either 16mm (3/4") or 25mm (1"). That outer diameter is a separate spec, and has no relation to the diameter of the threaded section. ESP is a Japanese based company so a lot of their products tend to use the pots with 8mm threaded shaft. Again, I'm not giving any guarantee about which parts are right. It is just based on what I've seen.

Comment

I recently converted my Gothic SG from active to passive. To save time I bought the harness from 920D with the long shaft pots.

Comment

Originally posted by McD View Post
                    I recently converted my Gothic SG from active to passive. To save time I bought the harness from 920D with the long shaft pots.
                    What kind of pickups did you switch to? How does it sound?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

What kind of pickups did you switch to? How does it sound?
                      I went with a set of Invaders. I'm trying to see if I can get that Ride The Lightning tone. Invaders -> Rat -> JCM800. I haven't run it through the 800 yet, but I really like the aggressiveness of the pickups. I think these are what Pepper used on the Down records, so I'll explore that next. I'm digging the Invaders!

Comment

Wondering before converting to passive if you should find a used Duality or Fishman Opencore ( Or even Retro Active EMG) to easily swap in (unhook the EMG - hook on the other active pickup) and see if you get the desired tone.

My buddy who hates active pickups was over recently and I secretly handed him a guitar loaded with active Fishman Fluence pickups and he was jamming and loving it. The look on his face when I told him those were active pickups lol

Comment

Originally posted by McD View Post

I went with a set of Invaders. I'm trying to see if I can get that Ride The Lightning tone. Invaders -> Rat -> JCM800. I haven't run it through the 800 yet, but I really like the aggressiveness of the pickups. I think these are what Pepper used on the Down records, so I'll explore that next. I'm digging the Invaders!
                          I LOVE Pepper's Down and COC tones

Comment

Then you love Invaders!

Comment

Originally posted by krovatron View Post
                              Wondering before converting to passive if you should find a used Duality or Fishman Opencore ( Or even Retro Active EMG) to easily swap in (unhook the EMG - hook on the other active pickup) and see if you get the desired tone.

My buddy who hates active pickups was over recently and I secretly handed him a guitar loaded with active Fishman Fluence pickups and he was jamming and loving it. The look on his face when I told him those were active pickups lol
                              Hey Krovatron,

You know.. I was thinking the same thing. I know EMG does have a variety of different options that falls more in line with passive nuances. Can the Fishman Opencore snap into my existing setup- like an EMG to EMG swap? I've played guitars before with Fishman Fluences and loved the tone !

Comment

Working...
                              X