Pickups don't matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Like some angry guy proclaiming something that seems to go against all established wisdom.
    Not denying the click-bait factor. Hazard of media. If you don't attract attention, often your message never gets through.

But there is wisdom, and then there are legends, myths, fantasy, and outright BS.
    - It isn't easy to sort the facts out from the fiction. And in music, especially tone, there is a LOT of fiction.

Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      Been playing a few different guitars through my 5w Picovalve set to 2w tonight. Metalzone for distortion. Haven't touched the tone controls at all. And they all sound different.
      Perhaps I shall have to make my own video at some point.
      Do they? Or do you just think they do because you know they are different?
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Do they? Or do you just think they do because you know they are different?
        Guess that you'll just have to wait for the video.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Not denying the click-bait factor. Hazard of media. If you don't attract attention, often your message never gets through.

But there is wisdom, and then there are legends, myths, fantasy, and outright BS.
          - It isn't easy to sort the facts out from the fiction. And in music, especially tone, there is a LOT of fiction.

I ain't spending the time to sort through it, though.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

And here is a response from a pickup builder, he kinda agrees with Glenn but not completely

1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I’ve been really loving the tones from some of the resurgent new wave of classic rock bands, specifically Dirty Honey and Goodbye June. I watched a Rig Rundown with John Notto, and he mentioned his pickups were from Righteous Sound, so I looked them up and basically found a set of Alnico 2 PAFs.

I realize the story is already long, but to get to the point, I pulled my 59 set out of its box, put a roughcast A2 in the bridge—the roughcast A3 is never leaving the neck—and swapped them back into my Les Paul. It was all there. The bloom, the growl, the wonder of a lower output pickup doing rock and roll into a Plexi style amp.

Pickups absolutely matter.
              Last edited by misterwhizzy; 02-02-2023, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Rewatched his video, and I have to say this has made me question Glenn as a source of advice. The pickups do sound different, not to the extent as if you were to go from say a single coil to a humbucker and some sound more distinct than others but they're still there. I mean the first two guitars are perfect examples of this; the second one is clearly driving the amp more and adds a tone of flub to the pull-offs. I've not seen a whole amount of Glenn's stuff, but he seemed reliable, but now I'm not so sure.

Comment

5. Every pickup sounds the same. For playing Uber-gained out metal..
                  Ace, so basically what you are saying that us 80s cats have the gold standard of musicality in the signal chain? Well DUH Dude!
                  Active Duty Rig:
                  MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                  Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Working...
                  X