SD 59/Hybrid & Antq II H'bucker??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

The bridge Ant is the thinnest hb in their line. Up to the guitarist if that is desirable or not.
    Sorry, but I don't hear that at all.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Is what you hear you conflating your regard for the pickup and the actual eq and output of it? :P

I'm not trying to criticize it. It's literally built that way tho. Vintage wind, old rattly cover, demagnetized A2. Literally every parameter minimizes the strength. Touting the whole set as rich or being a vintage pup enthusiast doesn't mean the bridge pup itself isn't one of the thinnest or the absolute thinnest in the line.

Last edited by Clint 55; 01-24-2023, 11:16 PM.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

I think we hear it differently.

Comment

The bridge Ant is the thinnest hb in their line. Up to the guitarist if that is desirable or not.
          The bridge antiquity humbucker is much fuller sounding than the bridge Seth! It's not even close. The Seth can get downright piercing and shriek-y if you don't use the tone knob appropriately.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

So the Seth is the clankiest then the Ant? :P
            I bought them for you

Comment

So the Seth is the clankiest then the Ant? :P
              I'm still not entirely sure what you mean by 'clankiest'. All humbuckers sound kind of full to me . . . compared to a bridge single coil.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

All bridge position guitar now sounds like a clank to me since Hammond is my main instrument and it's the bassist instrument there is.
                I bought them for you

Comment

All bridge position guitar now sounds like a clank to me since Hammond is my main instrument and it's the bassist instrument there is.
                  You gotta take up mandolin. Everything will sound like it sustains for days and is bassy.

Comment

Sounds cool.

This is a clank at 1:30.

Ant at 4:20. That's also recorded with a sm58 which makes everything twice as bassy.

I bought them for you

Comment

if THAT'S clank, bring it on!!

Comment

The Antiquity set is one of the best sets I have ever tried. it's got a sweet top end, a slightly scooped but 'chewy' feel to the mid and the low end isn't as saggy as alnico II might suggest.

Clint, I'm sorry, but I think the majority here disagrees with you.

Comment

Originally posted by zozoe View Post
                          Yep.

Both of those videos sound like the pickups they're demoing. The Seth bridge is very sparkly, the Antiquity is beefier than the Seth but still clear.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                            The Antiquity set is one of the best sets I have ever tried. it's got a sweet top end, a slightly scooped but 'chewy' feel to the mid and the low end isn't as saggy as alnico II might suggest.

Clint, I'm sorry, but I think the majority here disagrees with you.
                            Disagrees with the straw man against me?
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by zozoe View Post
                              See, OP is all for the clank!

Yeah no, clank is obviously subjective. I don't think it's off base to call only the bridge sound thin.

I like the Seth/Ant sets a lot. They're extremely elegant and vintage accurate. The bridges stock are too thin for me. If I was going to run them as something close to stock, I would remove the cover from the bridges and load em with 3 double thick A2s. Would keep the necks stock.
                              Last edited by Clint 55; 01-27-2023, 06:48 PM.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

My Ants are in a semi hollow Gibson. My Seths are in a chambered Warmoth.

Comment

Working...
                                X