Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Quick Questions Here....

Greetings~
    1) Does it matter at all if I use a Little59, JB Jr, or any similar NECK pup, & use it in the BRIDGE position?

2) Can someone steer me towards a schematic for two H'buckers, 1-Vol, 1-Tone, 3-way switch, with one of those pots being a push/pull to give me only the 2 outer coils?
    Many thnx in advance~ॐ

I don't think there are specific "neck" versions of the little 59 or JB Jr. You can use them in any position you want to as far as I know, but I think most people use them as bridge pickups. They are already hum cancelling.

Comment

Use this one, but instead of red-white going to ground on the back of the volume pot, make red-white to to the hot on the volume. (there actually are some better ways to do this, but this is the simplest that will work.)

Comment

There are specific neck/middle versions of the JB Jr and Little 59, but it doesn't matter where you put them in the end. The neck versions would work fine in the bridge with a slightly less powerful pickup in the neck.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Isn't the only difference between a neck, middle, or bridge pickup just the output? As far as SD pickups are concerned?

Comment

Originally posted by Supernautilus View Post
            Isn't the only difference between a neck, middle, or bridge pickup just the output? As far as SD pickups are concerned?
            Yes, that's what makes them specific to the location.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You can use any of them wherever you want. Just keep in mind that a pup designed to be used in the bridge will have more output, slightly less high end, and a bit more mids as compared to its neck (or middle) model (generally due to increased winds on the bridge model).

Conversely, if you use a pup in the bridge position which is designed for the neck it will have less output and sound thinner (due to more highs and less mids of the neck pup).

Many times in my custom guitars I've used neck pups in the bridge when I wanted a brighter more articulate sound, and quite often I've used bridge pups in the neck when I wanted a fuller more powerful sound.

The rule is: pick and choose and put them wherever they sound good to you (keeping in mind the differences between neck and bridge pup winds).
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

thanks BEAU,,,,so is this schematic, as it sits, exactly what I should follow? and if not, there's 2 sets of red/whites, both going to the p/p,,, Lastly, is there the same schem with a 3-way Strat switch? thnx again

Comment

Well that's a new one on me. I've never used any of the single coil sized humbuckers, so I just assumed they were intended to be bridge pickups but you could put them anywhere. Didn't know they had a RWRP middle option.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                    Didn't know they had a RWRP middle option.
                    I'm pretty sure that none of the side-by-side "little" humbuckers have an RWRP middle. That would include the Hot/Cool/Vintage Rails, Duckbucker, Lil 59, JB Jr., Lil Screamin Demon, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by zozoe View Post
                      thanks BEAU,,,,so is this schematic, as it sits, exactly what I should follow? and if not, there's 2 sets of red/whites, both going to the p/p,,, Lastly, is there the same schem with a 3-way Strat switch? thnx again
                      Here's the diagram with the blade switch:

Comment

Originally posted by zozoe View Post
                        Yeah, sorry I wasn't thinking - the one GuitarDoc posted is the blade version. But you don't follow it 'exactly'. Like I said, to get outside coils when split, instead of the push-pull linking red-white to ground, you need to have the push-pull link to the hot input of the volume pot.

Comment

I would add one more thing . . . if you're going to use one of the "Lil" or Rails pups, you won't be able to do a mag flip for humbucking. So you may want to do this slight mod to have neck-side coils and remain humbucking. The two coils on these pups are close enough together that it shouldn't impact the sound.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zozoe2.png
Views:	187
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	6217243

Comment

Good point Artie.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I'm pretty sure that none of the side-by-side "little" humbuckers have an RWRP middle. That would include the Hot/Cool/Vintage Rails, Duckbucker, Lil 59, JB Jr., Lil Screamin Demon, etc.
                              that is correct. there is a neck/middle model and a bridge model. the are the only lil bucker set red devils that do have a different wind on the middle pup, but i still think its the same polarity

Comment

Working...
                              X