Drop C bridge pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop C bridge pickup

For drop C I do two tones, roughly iron maiden gain (no boost, not scooped sounding) and then generalized thrash. For the latter I figure any pickup works since I'm gonna be boosting and EQ'ing. Peavey Triple XXX, only using the crunch channel these days.

Currently have EC1000FR with EMG 81. Also tried an SL2 with distortions. For the mid gain tone, not a fan of the note separation of either pickup for what I like: stacking the 3rd on the low C under power chords or the 5th under a 6th on the G/C strings, also trying to get clarity for a 2-1-2-0 chord on C-F. Also felt they both hit the amp a bit too much.

I reviewed that MV listing thread sticky, listened to a bunch of Mike Stamper videos, considering the fact that of the two tones I'm after the lower gain tone will lend itself to more noticeable differences between pickups affecting the tone. All that in mind, I'm thinking Pegasus or custom 5.

Not too sure from the dimarzio camp but feel free to recommend. In terms of push on the amp from watching the stamper videos, the Super/Super 3 seemed a bit too similar to the Duncan distortion, crunch lab seemed a bit less in that department but I found it subtle. Maybe the D sonic but I haven't found too many good demos.

Side note, I'll be moving from the EC1000 regardless, was looking at the Schecter apocalypse C1Fr, anyone know how the Apocalypse VI pickups stack up vs the Duncan distortion?
    Last edited by SirSteve508; 01-29-2023, 06:43 PM.
    Charvel So-Cal (E, SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, D), ESP LTD EC1000FR (EMG 81/60, Drop C). Current rig: Digitech Drop into Helix HX Effects (4CM; Ernie Ball VP jr as expression) into ISP Decimator II. Into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.

https://ravager1.bandcamp.com/

I am not a drop-tune metal guy myself but I bet 80's_Thrash_Metal could let you know what has been working for him.

Comment

I thought the clarity of the Pegasus was really good but it didn't have enough teeth for my setup (VHT Pittbull 100cl). A XXX might be a better match for it than my head. I get decent clarity with the Distortion I use, but really had to fiddle with height and pole pieces to get just what I wanted - if it's not working for you, you might consider the neck model Distortion, which is a really good bridge pickup in its own right. Not as up front as the bridge Distortion but more bite than Pegasus.

​​​​​My absolute favorite bridge pickup for tuning down (D, C#, drop B) is the Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat, if you're not married to SD. Also really enjoying the clarity of an Elysian Trident II I just put in the bridge of my baritone.

I have 2 swamp ash/maple Schecters and they're significantly brighter than my mahogany guitars; the pickups I'm used to having in the Gibsons and Epiphones don't respond the same way. I actually found that an Invader backed pretty far away from the strings was the best tonal match out of 5 or 6 different pickups for my 6-string Schecter when tuning down. Clarity isn't completely perfect but the feel is just right. Everything else I tried was too thin. All this to say that you may need to explore a bit with the new guitar even if you have the LTD dialed in perfectly.
      Take it to the limit
      Everybody to the limit
      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

My first thoughts are the Pegasus or Nazgul, and you can always add more power with an EQ or boost pedal.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          I am not a drop-tune metal guy myself but I bet 80's_Thrash_Metal could let you know what has been working for him.
          He'd probably recommend the Black Winter.
          Me, I'd say the Crunchlab, based on my experience with it. Or the Alternative 8.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Duncan PATB-2. Thank me later.
            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
              I thought the clarity of the Pegasus was really good but it didn't have enough teeth for my setup (VHT Pittbull 100cl). A XXX might be a better match for it than my head. I get decent clarity with the Distortion I use, but really had to fiddle with height and pole pieces to get just what I wanted - if it's not working for you, you might consider the neck model Distortion, which is a really good bridge pickup in its own right. Not as up front as the bridge Distortion but more bite than Pegasus.

My absolute favorite bridge pickup for tuning down (D, C#, drop B) is the Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat, if you're not married to SD. Also really enjoying the clarity of an Elysian Trident II I just put in the bridge of my baritone..
              BKP is outside what I'd want to spend. Will dig around a bit on the SH6N. Wasn't a fan of lowering my EMG's height, just felt like I was getting diminishing returns on other aspects.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              My first thoughts are the Pegasus or Nazgul, and you can always add more power with an EQ or boost pedal.
              Nazgul sounded a bit too close to the distortion in output from what I listened to. Definitely agree with the last part, getting the higher gain setting I'm not too worried about. Pegasus starting to feel like my good go.

For the other 2 responses: Black winter still comparable enough to the distortions, no? And I'm reading good things about the PATB2's tone aspects but in terms of the output-I wasn't a fan of the end result once the regular distortions was in Drop C for that lower gain tone I'm after. I think for the fact I didn't like at least 2 high output pickup options for it I should probably go something with a bit less compression. My higher gain tone shouldn't be a worry without it since I'll be boosting

Last edited by SirSteve508; 01-29-2023, 06:16 PM.
              Charvel So-Cal (E, SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, D), ESP LTD EC1000FR (EMG 81/60, Drop C). Current rig: Digitech Drop into Helix HX Effects (4CM; Ernie Ball VP jr as expression) into ISP Decimator II. Into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.

Comment

If the guitar is still wired for actives, try some regular Blackouts or EMTY's.

Comment

Synapsys How about the TB16 or TB10 like in your sig? I liked Pete Cortell's full shred demo on youtube but other than the pinned MV output thread I dunno how it compares to the TB6. Someone once recommended me the 59 custom hybrid too.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                    If the guitar is still wired for actives, try some regular Blackouts or EMTY's.
                    It is but I'm gonna be selling regardless (not a fan of the finish anymore lmao). I'll look into the blackouts but a few other actives I'd seen compared to the 81, the differences just felt too subtle to me to justify the cost of the change.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SirSteve508 View Post

It is but I'm gonna be selling regardless (not a fan of the finish anymore lmao). I'll look into the blackouts but a few other actives I'd seen compared to the 81, the differences just felt too subtle to me to justify the cost of the change.
                        The difference between Blackouts and EMG's is not really subtle, IMO... but it is probably the opposite of what you want. They're hotter and more over-the-top in all aspects.

I would take a look at Fishman Fluence Classics.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          He'd probably recommend the Black Winter.
                          Now that you mention it, my first experience with the BW was installing it for one of my Thrash/Death Metal buddies that down-tuned to C#, it sounded amazing.

Comment

Black Winter is a great pickup for sure, it's not as articulate as the emty blackouts. In my humble opinion of course.

I would recommend blackout ahb3, Emty because as previously stated, they ARE a lot different(and better) than the EMGs. They also have inherently more dynamics and harmonics than the old 81/85 combo.

Nothing wrong with a good old Distortion, alt8, or black Winter if you want a passive.
                            Someone mentioned the patb2 as well, very articulate.

fishmans are very well liked by many guitarists and kind of for the exact reason you are wanting then but I have only played them a few times.

If I were playing drop a, b, or c thru a XXX, JSX, 6505/5150 or even an XXL, thru a schecter, I would use the blackout emty and be honestly, very happy. If I were choosing a passive for clarity only: maybe the patb2, maybe the custom?
                            clarity isn't often my thing, I'm a chord, riff, thrasher, high gain kind of guy.

Most of these pickups we are all talking about are high gain pickups..... Some of them really do well with rolling the volume down, a few of them don't.
                            Last edited by 80's_Thrash_Metal; 01-29-2023, 11:09 PM.
                            https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by SirSteve508 View Post
                              Synapsys How about the TB16 or TB10 like in your sig? I liked Pete Cortell's full shred demo on youtube but other than the pinned MV output thread I dunno how it compares to the TB6. Someone once recommended me the 59 custom hybrid too.
                              The Hybrid is lower output than the Distortion, more balanced EQ-wise, but with a slight mid scoop -not as drastic as the Custom V supposedly is. Great note separation, bit chimey highs, but overall leaning towards PAF territory. Best bridge clean tone pickup yet, at least to my ears.

The Full Shred is a mid-output humbucker which has the best note separation of all pickups I've tried so far. it's bright, but not as much as most will say it is. Very transparent nd tight lows, a bit scooped in the mids -less than the Hybrid, at least to my ears- but crystal-clear highs.

Wouldn't use either for Maiden or Thrash tones, though. For thar, refer to my previous recommendation.
                              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Working...
                              X