Custom Shop JB Extra Wound Bridge-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop JB Extra Wound Bridge-

A friend had a bunch of pickups built for him from the custom shop and he gifted me one for a guitar. What would be the most ideal scenario for a JB w/ this output. Would this work well at 250k where maybe the person who wanted a little more out of that K? What application would you use a JB like this over a standard JB? Thanks!
    Attached Files

Awesome. You can use it for whatever you'd like. 18k range is pretty bad ass. It's a lil more over the top than the standard heat and really punches the amp. It compresses more and has awesome sounding metallic upper mids. Looks like it's aged 10 years too lol.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I would think that you would want to try it out with 500k pots to start. High value winds have a tendency of knocking off a lot of the highs.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

DC isn't the best indicator of output. 2k turns of wire I doubt made a huge difference in output - some pickups have that much difference just between the 2 bobbins. Most likely it tilted the EQ. Best hope is that the extra winds tilted the peak lower, away from the famous 'ice-pick' people complain about. (Or maybe higher to give it more airy top end?) FreeFrog could probably calculate what the difference might be. But you'd just have to try it to know what it actually sounds like and what it's relative output really is.

And pickups, made of metal plates, metal wire, polypropylene bobbins and metal alloy magnets, don't 'age' in any way that would make a difference in just 10 years. Especially if it spent some/most of that time in the box.

If it were me, I'd start with it in a bright guitar, like a basswood body type with maple neck, some kind of shredder maybe, or an ash Tele with maple neck (if it is one that takes a humbucker), just to see what it sounds like. You could start with a 250k vol/tone, since a JB was designed for that. 500k might let you hear more what the pickup has to offer.

Comment

I totally agree with GuitarStv. And with beau...except that I'd definitely start with 500k pots and probably have a switch to give the option of parallel. But it would probably be best in a bright sounding guitar.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
          X