Clarity and note separation under gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    And by the time I dial my amp in to make the '59 sound heavy, is there really a benefit to using the '59 as opposed to the X2N? That was my point.
    That's the beauty of extremely high gain sounds. No dynamic range, all the frequencies are compressed to hell and back. You can get lots of different high gain tones by playing with the EQ you set on your amp and the speakers you're running through, but every pickup ends up sounding pretty similar.

You can make most low output pickups sound fine for heavy playing with the right amp settings/pedals. It's a lot harder to make high output pickups sound good clean. So I'd argue that the benefit to playing the '59 is that you have the option to make nice sounds on the guitar as well as the noise. With the X2N, you're much more limited. :P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Even after being in this forum for years I really got the point after watching Joe Gore's video on high pass mod for humbuckers. In summary reducing the low end BEFORE hitting distortion helps a lot to increase clarity/articulation under high gain. I had tried the Full Shred set and it excels on that but after revisiting that video I put a Boss GE-7, cut the lows of my guitar with a JB and it really really improved clarity/articulation under high gain. Yes you can try to cut lows in the amp eq but that is post-gain so it does not have the same effect, that eq section however is always great to shape mids and treble.
      Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

That's the beauty of extremely high gain sounds. No dynamic range, all the frequencies are compressed to hell and back. You can get lots of different high gain tones by playing with the EQ you set on your amp and the speakers you're running through, but every pickup ends up sounding pretty similar.

You can make most low output pickups sound fine for heavy playing with the right amp settings/pedals. It's a lot harder to make high output pickups sound good clean. So I'd argue that the benefit to playing the '59 is that you have the option to make nice sounds on the guitar as well as the noise. With the X2N, you're much more limited. :P
        Yeah, well, TBH, I didn't think the '59B sounded particularly good clean when I had it. I just don't like bridge pickup cleans, personally. Unless maybe it's something like a Tele. And even then, there's a pretty specific application for those.
        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-01-2023, 11:42 AM.

Comment

What do you guys think about the degree to which this is affected by asymmetrical vs symmetrical winding?
          Take it to the limit
          Everybody to the limit
          Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
            What do you guys think about the degree to which this is affected by asymmetrical vs symmetrical winding?
            Well, don't leave out pole pieces. These things are ridiculously clear. Clean, the guitar almost sounds like a dreadnought acoustic. Under gain, thick and heavy for stop and chop. But single note leads, arpeggios and trills just pop and sing.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Well, don't leave out pole pieces. These things are ridiculously clear. Clean, the guitar almost sounds like a dreadnought acoustic. Under gain, thick and heavy for stop and chop. But single note leads, arpeggios and trills just pop and sing.

Fuglybuckers, right? Are the winds mismatched too, or is the difference between the coils down to the staples vs bar magnet? I doubt I'll get my hands on those but I would be interested to try them.

Take it to the limit
              Everybody to the limit
              Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

Fuglybuckers, right? Are the winds mismatched too, or is the difference between the coils down to the staples vs bar magnet? I doubt I'll get my hands on those but I would be interested to try them.
                Honestly, I'm not certain. You'd have to ask MJ.

Comment

BKP Polymath and SD Alpha/Omega (especially the custom shop set I own) both rank very highly in this regard. The Polymath also managed to sound thicker than the latter while doing so.

Comment

those fuglys seem like winners every time i hear them

Comment

The Fuglys probably would be more popular if they weren't so fugly. Like if the bobbins were the same, but one just had a bar, and the other PA poles. I think the different size bobbins make some people discount them immediately.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        The Fuglys probably would be more popular if they weren't so fugly. Like if the bobbins were the same, but one just had a bar, and the other PA poles. I think the different size bobbins make some people discount them immediately.
                        If they were more popular, then I probably wouldn't have been as drawn to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          If they were more popular, then I probably wouldn't have been as drawn to them.

But...they would still sound the same.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

But...they would still sound the same.
                            Yes, but by the unusual configuration, I knew that they would have some unusual sonic properties. That along with the fact that most conventional guitarists would be scared off by their looks.
                            Hearing them for myself was the icing on the cake.

Comment

Is the blade actually a magnet on the fuglys like it is on the Diablos?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                                Is the blade actually a magnet on the fuglys like it is on the Diablos?
                                Yes, I think that it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X