Coil Split Slash Pups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Split Slash Pups?

Relative newby here with an ambitious plan to try out the LP Jimmy Page wiring, which has already gone a little sideways on me before I started.
    At the last minute I found a good deal on the slash pickups and bought them, not realizing that they were only single conductors, not the required 4 conductor wires... is it possible / much of a project to pull them apart and get to the 4 wires to do the coil split, or is it best to just save them for another project in future and find something else for now?

That's a tough call and it depends on how handy you are and how comfortable you are with disassembling a humbucker. A single conductor pup CAN be converted to 4 conductor. But it requires opening up the pickup, disconnecting the single conductor leads, and then rewiring a new 4 conductor lead. If you've never done that before, it can get hairy. Especially if the pickup is covered and potted, which means taking the cover off and either melting the wax off or working around it. If you have another project in mind for the Slash pups, I would put them aside for that and save yourself a headache. That's my 2 cents. I hope that helps!

Comment

That's what I figured, might be best to keep them as they are than ruin them entirely Thanks for the advice.

Comment

You can also send them to SD to have them rewired.

My 2 cents...you'll probably find that most of the selections in the JP wiring are not something that you will ever use, and the switching can be very confusing (this p/p = up, that one down, another one up, etc).
        It's so much simpler to have two mini switches for series/split/parallel for each pup, or 2 p/p pots for series/split for each pup, or 1 p/p for series/split for both pups with 1 p/p for out of phase.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

ive become a big fan of 4pdt on/on/on switches. you can take two buckers and do series/split/parallel at the same time. i find that more useful than the jp wiring. but you still need 4 cond pups to do anything like that

Comment

+1 for series/split/parallel switches. I only just discovered these a couple years ago and it was a game changer. I like them way better than push/pull pots. I have them in 3 of my guitars now.

Comment

Agree completely that on=on=on minis work well. But you have to be brave and committed enough to drill the holes in your nice veneer. Far easier to fit in something like a HB Strat.

I understand some use existing holes and go to master tone and master volume but this usually gets low marks aesthetically.

Also agree limiting PPs to 2 is user friendly. There are many wiring options available Artie's coil swap might be good for you.

For a budget 4 conductor Slash type pup check out the Tesla Shark made by Irongear. A very popular pup for LPs here in the UK There is a substantial tax discount for exports which almost covers shipping. There is a comparison vid between the 2 pups on You Tube .

Comment

Working...
              X