P-90 (Stack) Mounting Screw Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-90 (Stack) Mounting Screw Help Needed

I have a pair of P90 stacks, and I managed to strip the head of one of the mounting screws.

SD customer support informs me that I need #3 x 28 x 1-1/2" FL Phillips #2 head, but that they don't sell them directly. They recommended some potential sources, but none seem to have a match in stock.

I've looked everywhere I can think of (Stewmac, Allparts, Philadelphia Luthier Tools, Reverb, local hardware shops, etc.), but I can't find any exact matches. I can find #2 or #4 flats/countersunk, or #3 with round heads, etc.

My current ones are black, which would be nice to maintain, but I'll take whatever I can get.

Any advice? My poor guitar...

Thank you.

-mitch
    Last edited by feynman; 02-06-2023, 06:05 PM.

Don't forget Ace hardware - they have loads of hardware to fit guitars - even metric. If they don't have black, get chrome and drop by a local hobby shop to pick up a small bottle of scale railroad paint. I think mine is Steam Railway Black. Make a nice non-glare color that will work well with a brush.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Thank you. I went to two Aces today, but neither had anything smaller than a #4, which didn't quite fit through the pickup cover. And they didn't have anything long enough.

I assumed this would be an easy search, but I guess it's a little uncommon.

I was a bit surprised that SD wouldn't sell me any, but I think I also understand,

I appreciate the reply.
      Last edited by feynman; 02-06-2023, 07:50 PM.

Comment

fastenal is where i go for all my screw needs. my local one is fantastic

Comment

Fastenal will most likely have what you want, but they are very expensive and their shipping costs about 10x what the screw should be worth.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You don't need to use a metric screw. You may be able to find what you're after in a 1/8" imperial size. (1/8" is slightly larger than 3mm. If it doesn't quite fit, it won't hurt anything to drill out the hole in the pup...it's a tiny amount).
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              Fastenal will most likely have what you want, but they are very expensive and their shipping costs about 10x what the screw should be worth.
              ive never had to deal with shipping costs, so that may be true. there is one a few miles from my house so i just walk in. usually they have what i need (which is almost always some oddball size) but even when ive ordered something, they never charged me shipping. i assume thats since it gets shipped to the store and i pick it up there

Comment

Thanks again. I believe I have it sorted now, but I appreciate the replies.

Comment

The big advantage of soapbars is that you can use nails

Comment

Working...
                  X