Suggestions for alternatives to my Explorer’s 496r/500t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for alternatives to my Explorer’s 496r/500t

Hi - I recently got a 2000 Explorer that, while I love the guitar, I’m not really becoming attached to these super hot ceramic pickups. They just feel cold next to the 59/JB in my Les Paul and the Gibson 490/498t in my SG. I don’t know if all ceramics really sound that way and I’m just hooked on alincos (v), or if it’s just this setup. Outside of playing Metallica, things just don’t sound great to me.

I know this guitar is a 9.5 pound hunk of mahogany, so I’m sure there are some pickups that may work better than others. Can you please throw out suggestions for me to consider? I have a DSL 40 CR, a variety of pedals, and I like to play hard rock and classic metal (say Motley Crue, ghost, Volbeat, Priest, Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Motörhead) most of the time.

I want to try something other than my current combinations and would love SD or Demarzio suggestions. Thanks!

Mike

From SD, how about a Jazz in the neck and a 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge...?
    DMZ, perhaps a 36th Anniversary PAF in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge. (Super Distortion is ceramic though...)

Comment

I’ll look into those. I’m not entirely sure that I won’t like a ceramic, but my only experience with a ceramic is this 500t. I know people of Super Dist in Les Paul’s but I’ve heard people say not in an SG b/c all Mahogany (not sure if that’s valid or not) but my Explore is 50% heavier than my SG!

Comment

I say a Jazz and Custom 5. You get the tones you want without it feeling too compressed. Sounds great in Explorers (and Vs).
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

This is great - will look into the Custom 5 as well. Two others that I have been considering are the Gibson 70’s Tribute pickups that they are putting in their current 70s line, a Super Distorion, or the SD Dave Mustaine Thrash Factor which is basically a much tighter JB. I don’t want to repeat pickups but in an Explore I think that would vary enough with some more edge. Not sure about how that plays with all Mahogany though. I like the JB in my LP a lot.
          Last edited by Mike CT; 02-07-2023, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I might also consider a Pearly Gates neck with a Perpetual Burn bridge.
            IMO Custom 5 is a good rec though.

And if you want that sound, the Super D works well in anything.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

If you like the neck, you could mod the 500t by substituting one of the side magnets with a spacer. This make it sound much like a Seymour Duncan Distortion.
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

One of thing I forgot, I tend to down tune to D Standarad a lot for things like Motley, Volbeat, and Ghost. Not sure if that plays into pickup choice.

Comment

Everything you're saying screams to me that you should be going with the Custom wind. I love the stock Custom, but Custom 5 might work better if your guitar is particularly mid-heavy. Regardless, with a pickup and perhaps a magnet, you'll be set.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                    Everything you're saying screams to me that you should be going with the Custom wind. I love the stock Custom, but Custom 5 might work better if your guitar is particularly mid-heavy. Regardless, with a pickup and perhaps a magnet, you'll be set.
                    I’m terrible at guessing on things like if the guitar is mid-heavy, but it’s a 9.5 piece of mahogany with a 500T that just feels cold unless massively cranked/distorted. I’m going to watch videos for both of those. I did a quick glance at a Custom video and it seemed pretty versatile. I also like the Gibson 70s Tribute tones in some of those videos, but wish they were a tad more aggressive (but I guess pedals are for that!).

Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike CT View Post

I’m terrible at guessing on things like if the guitar is mid-heavy, but it’s a 9.5 piece of mahogany with a 500T that just feels cold unless massively cranked/distorted. I’m going to watch videos for both of those. I did a quick glance at a Custom video and it seemed pretty versatile. I also like the Gibson 70s Tribute tones in some of those videos, but wish they were a tad more aggressive (but I guess pedals are for that!).

Thanks for the help everyone.
                      I have a set of those 70s Tribute humbuckers in a Flying V. Granted that is not the same as an Explorer, but in my guitar they are lean and mean!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        I say a Jazz and Custom 5. You get the tones you want without it feeling too compressed. Sounds great in Explorers (and Vs).
                        Just looked at a bunch of comparisons and I think the Custom checks off a lot of boxes. If I go that way, I know the suggestion was a Jazz. In my Les Paul with the JB I have a 59. The Jazz might add a little variety, but now I think I need to look into those two, or does the Jazz really pair with it better for a reason?

Comment

…….And the winner is the Duncan Custom for the bridge (Trembucker given the bridge pickup size) and a 59 in the neck. I have that same neck pickup in my Les Paul and I like it and think it should pair fine.

Thanks everyone!
                          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike CT View Post
                            …….And the winner is the Duncan Custom for the bridge (Trembucker given the bridge pickup size) and a 59 in the neck. I have that same neck pickup in my Les Paul and I like it and think it should pair fine.

Thanks everyone!
                            Mike
                            Great combo! Let us know how this turns out!
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well, I do think the Custom might be as ceramic-y sounding as the 500T, LOL. But glad you settled on a combo!

Comment

Working...
                              X