Questions about options when ordering a pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about options when ordering a pickup

Hi Forum Members, newbie to the forum here.

I plan on ordering a new pickup for my 1993 Gibson Les Paul Custom. I already know what I want, I just had a few questions regarding the options on the order page.

- First option states is, hookup cable, one conductor or four? I do not plan on doing any coil tapping or splitting, Right no my Les Paul just has standard CTS pots (no circuit boards, no coil taps). Just a three way switch, two volumes and two tones. I have no plans to split or tap the coils. I searched the forum and found this post, but the OP did start with 4 conductor pickups and I don't think this pertains to me. https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...ickup-selector

- Second question is, mounting legs. Standard or Vintage long? I found this article https://customshop.seymourduncan.com/mounting-legs/
    Which mentions Les Paul's have long mounting Legs, but I'd appreciate someone confirming.

While I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, I do plan on having my luthier install the pickup.

This is my first post here. Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I did search!

Welcome to the Forum.

When ordering a pickup new, I feel it's usually best to order 4-wire lead even if you don't need it at present.
    One never knows what'll happen in the future - IMO it's better to have the capability just in case.
    Doesn't complicate things very much at all; you just cover the unused link wires with some tape and tuck them away.
    Still, in your case 4-wire isn't necessary. And some simply prefer the vintage look of braided shield.

As for long vs short legs, AFAIK long legs will fit in any Les Paul without a problem.
    Some guitars have shallow pickup routs and require short legs. Not LPs, though.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

So, get short legs and 4 conductor if you ever plan on moving the pickups to another non-LP guitar. Get long legs and single conductor if you are concerned about vintage correctness and looks in an LP. Wiring-wise, it doesn't matter what you get. You can choose not to use the series link cables (the other 2), and the legs are under the pickups, so no one but you sees them, and then, not very often. You can choose any combination of these options for your particular guitar, though, as it won't matter function-wise.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

4 conductor is never a bad move, even if you don't use it. You might change your mind someday, or want to sell it.

Short legs. Same deal. Short will fit all Les Pauls, but long may not fit all other guitars.

Neither issue affects if it will fit/sound good.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I concur...
          Get 4 wire and short legs. It allows you greater options and versatility, but does not affect the sound or performance of the pickup at all.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Short legs can be problematic in the bridge position of a Les Paul, not allowing the pickup close enough to the strings (for my taste).

You can visually check - with short legs you won't have the pickup stick out of the pickup ring much at all.

Comment

my lps always had tall bridge pup rings so its never been an issue, but i can see that being a problem if you had a short ring

Comment

Working...
              X