banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS Tele, Little 59 bridge, WRHB neck, need help on resistance values to match...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS Tele, Little 59 bridge, WRHB neck, need help on resistance values to match...

Hi again, thanks for reading!

So here is my setup which is a bit offset from the regular and so I struggle a bit with total resistance the pup sees as well as output volume.

I'm using a vintage Maxon WRHB on the neck that clocks in at 11Khz.( Its way louder right now than the 59)
    I have a 1Meg volume pot(888Khz real value), it's what I need for the Maxon.
    I have a 500Khz Tone pot.

So I want first to use a resistor in parallel on the 59 so it sees 250Hz- 500Hz, I'm not too concerned about the 59 being too bright on 500K.
    I would like the middle position not too dark!
    I guess I would want a compromise on the 59 to have a brighter middle position...

Can anybody help me find a ballpark start value on the parallel resistor on the 59?

I hope this makes sense!

thanks

using a 1M resistor will get you just under 500k. lowering the resistance the pup sees will give it a darker tone and maybe seemingly a bit less output. is that what you want?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      using a 1M resistor will get you just under 500k. lowering the resistance the pup sees will give it a darker tone and maybe seemingly a bit less output. is that what you want?
      Thanks for the reply.
      I would say that I want to max the output of the 59 to counter the Maxon.
      As for frequency response, trying to stay within normal specs as much as possible when the pup sees a 250k pot .

Comment

a 1.2M or 1.1M resistor will get you just over, or just under 500k when in parallel with the 888k volume pot. it will push the resonant peak down a bit which is my it might seem to lose a touch of output, and sound fatter.

Comment

thanks.
          For some reason the parallel resistance calculator I used showed a 350K to bring down the final value to 250k.
          I like that the resonant frequency is lowered and sounds fatter, sort of like a woman tone without the woman......lol
          will also help the Maxon in position 2.
          So I will do that, thanks.

Comment

if you want a "250k" volume control for the 59, a 500k resistor would get you around 320k, and a 350k would indeed get you around 250k. but then you also have the tone pot which will load things down a bit as well

Comment

OK aso that means its 3 resistors in parallel?
              The detail is that I would need to play some time with a setup and see if it works, but I can't really as the thing is in open surgery.
              Im trying to ballpark a figure that will be a compromise where the I don't loose brightness on the maxon, I put a 1meg pot to get the clarity.
              Maybe my two pups are not compatible as far as volume, not sure yet.
              Anyhow, thanks I will try a 350k resistor..

Comment

Whole Rotta Humbucker?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  Whole Rotta Humbucker?
                  Ruh-roh, I think he means a Maxon copy of the 70s-Fender-style Wide Range Humbucker.
                  They were spec'd for use with a 1Meg pot. Wasn't aware Maxon ever made those though.

A Scooby humbucker would rule though...

~

OP, if you have enough space you could use a "half-Superswitch" and engage the parallel resistor only in position 1.
                  That way you'd retain a nice bright tone in middle position.
                  I believe the single wafer half-Superswitch can fit in a Tele control cavity, while a full-sized dual-wafer Superswitch will not.
                  Others will have to advise on this, but I could swear I've heard of people using them in Teles.

Since the Superswitch is a five position switch, you could also have the Lil 59 without resistor in position 2.
                  And maybe half-out-of-phase wiring in position 4.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Here is a picture of the pup. I took this from a Japanese copy of a Tele Custom.
                    That pup is amazing, "Hi-Fi", articulate, clean, amazing low end.
                    Im not a traditional player in the sense that I like to create atmospheres and soundscapes and this pickup is perfect for that.
                    So this is the challenge as I am keeping the Maxon in there and now bought the 59 thinking I can match them...
                    I like the super switch idea for the options, but for now I will ride the thing with this setup and see how it goes.

If anyone is interested , these pickups meant to copy the Fender wide range but they seem to not use the magnetic screw poles and just use a bar magnet like a humbucker. I did not open it to confirm....
                    Still it sounds very much like a wide range. I think the Henries numbers got boosted by a different wire gage and winding numbers. This is an early 1973 potted version, before they got going with it and changed the winglet to bigger ones like the PAF.

Last edited by HappyChicken; 03-15-2023, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X