No announcement yet.

Slightly lower output JB alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly lower output JB alternatives?

I just bought a MIJ Charvel San Dimas with a JB in the bridge. Maybe I’ve become used to slightly lower output bridge humbuckers, but this thing is just too much. When I switch over to this guitar from my LP Studio or Zion at the same amp settings it just gets mushy and roars (not in a good way) like someone up way too close on a microphone. I tried adjusting the pickup lower but there was only a tiny bit of adjustment since it direct mounts.

What is the “JB-lite”? I think just a little less output and I’ll be in business.
    Last edited by Exodus5; 04-01-2023, 05:11 PM.

Perpetual Burn?

The pickups I can think of that are lower output start to depart from the JB sound. The JB is kind of unique.

Comment

PB. You can also stick an A5 in a Distortion neck.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Take a look at the '59/Custom Hybrid

Also, now that the '78 model has a "production" version available at a fairly reasonable price point, it's also a decent option for JB-lovers looking for more vintage character and added clarity without giving up too much output

With all that said, I'd try "half-airing" the JB first, which would open it up a bit and reduce the output slightly without losing the JB's unique character. You could also try swapping in a UOA5 (Un-Oriented A5) magnet to reduce the output further. These mods would cost you about $10 and 15 minutes of your time. Actually, the "half-air" mod wouldn't necessarily cost you anything.

Comment

Thanks all. I’ll give those ideas a try. I think I have some raw magnets I bought years ago lying in my parts box. They may be Sand Cast A4’s, though….

Comment

I say start with what you got.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

A3 will drop the output the most.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Not really the same tone as the JB, but the Pegasus is an amazing pickup and a bit lower output.

Comment

I've always thought a dmz Norton sounded like a lower output JB.

Comment

Well crap. I figured it out. When I went to replace the JB with a Full Shred I had lying around as a test I noticed the volume pot was a Gibson branded replacement. I checked and the pot was reading 570k instead of 500 at “10”, so I replaced it with a CTS I had lying around and that took care of the issue.

Comment

Good deal, easy fix for ya.
                      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                      Jackson Soloist 7 string
                      ESP LTD M-400
                      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Working...
                      X