No announcement yet.

Introducing the HyperSwitch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting for sure, and opens up the less than usual sounds in 2-3 hb guitars. Presumably, for it to be working, you have to be connected to the app, so maybe more useful in a studio situation.
    Originally posted by dominus
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
      Interesting for sure, and opens up the less than usual sounds in 2-3 hb guitars. Presumably, for it to be working, you have to be connected to the app, so maybe more useful in a studio situation.
      You don't have to be connected to the app for it to work. You need to be connected to send settings to the switch, but once it is set, you can leave the phone at home.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ok, that makes more sense, and surely something that would've come up when they were hashing out the design.
        Originally posted by dominus
        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

As much as I love this kind of technology, I see one major flaw: You can't put coils in parallel. (Of one pickup.) That would be a no-go for me. Humbuckers, and Lil series pickups, in parallel, is one of my favorite sounds. I can't believe they didn't provide for that.

Edit: You can put them in parallel out-of-phase, but that's not useful to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            As much as I love this kind of technology, I see one major flaw: You can't put coils in parallel. (Of one pickup.) That would be a no-go for me. Humbuckers, and Lil series pickups, in parallel, is one of my favorite sounds. I can't believe they didn't provide for that.

Considering how some of SD's pickups are designed to be wired in parallel it seems like a big oversight. Maybe that will be included in a future update.
            "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

But you can. Check out the instructions on page 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Is that what they meant by parallel out of phase?
                "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by TVFV View Post

Is that what they meant by parallel out of phase?
                  Yup.

Comment

Yup.
                    I didn't know the coils were OOP when they were in parallel.

Comment

They aren't. In parallel, the coils are connected differently in series...maybe i didn't understand your question.

Comment

They aren't. In parallel, the coils are connected differently in series...maybe i didn't understand your question.
                        You're fine. I just don't why they just didn't say parallel. The OOP part just adds confusion IMO.

Comment

Sorry Dave. I don't mean to argue with you, but look at the wiring instructions. (It's a separate PDF.) Red & white are tied together. That makes it impossible for the pup to be in "normal" parallel. They can ground red/white, then connect black & white together for "hot." Or vice-versa. They can't make red hot and white ground.

That's why page 3 calls it "parallel out-of-phase", which just isn't a useful sound. The two coils are so close together, you get almost total cancellation. It will sound terrible. IMHO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyperswitch-01.png
Views:	264
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	6229033

Comment

I'm all for technology, but just NOT in a guitar; I don't want to use an app to set up my guitar, sorry. If this had some type of manual switch I'd be very interested, but I'm not @#%$ing around with an app when I want to play...

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
                              I'm all for technology, but just NOT in a guitar; I don't want to use an app to set up my guitar, sorry. If this had some type of manual switch I'd be very interested, but I'm not @#%$ing around with an app when I want to play...

Larry
                              You don't have to. You set the switch up once, and never have to access the app again.

Comment

My beef is needing batteries in a guitar with passive pickups. Great for chronic tinkerers.
                                But, like Top-L, I'd use a Superswitch once I found the configurations I wanted.
                                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                                X