The look of pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The look of pickups

Some people like colored bobbins, with non-standard color combinations. Now we are even starting to see pickups that have covers with all sorts of silk screened designs, like paisleys, skulls, etc. I've even seen companies make covers that look like they were chewed on by a monster. It is good we have choices.

I am someone that would love if it were possible to create pickups that you couldn't even see: either hidden under a pickguard or imbedded in the guitar. If it were possible for these ideas to sound like the humbuckers I like, I'd love it. They don't have that yet, so I stick with either basic black coils or covered with black powder coat.

Anyone like non-traditional looks? If you were to design the cosmetics of your signature pickup, what would it look like?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

I think uncovered mini humbuckers look cool. And they could potentially reach a wider market.

The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
      I think uncovered mini humbuckers look cool. And they could potentially reach a wider market.

That's very interesting. Come to think of it, I've never seen a plain uncovered mini. I think they look great.

Why are minis always covered?
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I generally like the looks of traditional black uncovered humbuckers. I also like the look of open faced chrome or gold covers. And I absolutely love the look of black or cream soapbar P-90s.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

That's very interesting. Come to think of it, I've never seen a plain uncovered mini. I think they look great.

Honestly, I've never seen one, either. I suppose in the right guitar, it might look OK.

Comment

They do look good. I asked the Duncan shop if they could build me one and they said no because they aren't set up for it. I think it's the standard for minis to use the cover to enclose everything. It must be only the small builders who go and source parts to have a mini just screwed to a baseplate like the full sized ones.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

They do look good. I asked the Duncan shop if they could build me one and they said no because they aren't set up for it.
              Huh?

Just don't go through the final step of adding on the cover. Right? What am I missing?

Comment

I've always liked the looks of smooth metal with no holes. Firebird pickups, tele neck, lipstick pickups . . . they just look cool to me.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Well, one can paint the pickup covers to match...

Click image for larger version

Name:	nih4xlhyhky71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=19c985e25c6eb839df4688557a7eeacd157d23e0.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	6231293
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Well, one can paint the pickup covers to match...

Name:	nih4xlhyhky71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=19c985e25c6eb839df4688557a7eeacd157d23e0.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	6231293
                    Well, it is interesting to me that the pickups are considered in the overall look of the guitar, rather than pickups disturbing it because pickups are sold with a certain look and you need them in your instrument.

Comment

I've had the idea, for some time, to get an "open" humbucker frame/cover, then get a premade insert, then use the insert as a template, so one could use any material they want to easily make custom covers.

Name:	Open_cover.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	6231321

Comment

Rails always look cool.
                        "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Huh?

Just don't go through the final step of adding on the cover. Right? What am I missing?
                          Original Gibson mini-humbuckers weren't screwed to the baseplate like full-size humbuckers. The cover held everything together.

See some originals here:
                          Okay, I took these out of a 1976 Ibanez Firebird. These have the Gibson patent number sticker on the bottom of the pickups. They are equipped with the black plastic covers similar to early 70's SG's. The covers do not come off and the ears are a little bent. They are scratched a bit, and the polepieces show some discoloration

My understanding is the very first mini-humbuckers were made with two Melody Maker single coils, one reverse wound, in a package. Those had a blade and didn't have a baseplate. I believe they did something to add adjustable poles to one of the coils, but I haven't seen the earliest ones disassbled.

Last edited by beaubrummels; 04-28-2023, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I love almost everything Paul Reed Smith comes up with guitar design-wise....but I cannot contain my dislike of the "squabbin" humbucker look, even if I loved the sound of the pups, I would yank those out immediately and sell them off! Generally I like open black coils, double creme in the right guitar, zebra once in a while, and good ol nickel covers, and I think the aged ones look the absolute biz!
                            Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                            Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                            Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                            Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Original Gibson mini-humbuckers.... My understanding is the very first mini-humbuckers were made with two Melody Maker single coils, one reverse wound, in a package. Those had a blade and didn't have a baseplate.
                              Gibson did not invent mini-humbuckers. Epiphone did. When Gibson bought the company, they cabbaged onto the good ideas.

Thusly...
                              The Mini-Humbucker: More Than Just a Mini-Humbucker | Reverb News
                              Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-28-2023, 12:05 PM.
                              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                              X