Jackson® High-Output Humbucking
    • MIDDLE PICKUP
      Jackson® Single-Coil
    • NECK PICKUP
      Jackson® Single-Coil
    • CONTROLS
      Volume, Tone
    • SWITCHING
      5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup, Position 3. Middle Pickup, Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup, Position 5. Neck Pickup
    • CONFIGURATION
      HSS
    I want to upgrade the pickups to the one into the high-end model of this guitar.

BRIDGE PICKUP
    Seymour Duncan® JB™ TB-4
    MIDDLE PICKUP
    Samarium Cobalt Noiseless™ (SCN) Single-Coil Strat®
    NECK PICKUP
    Samarium Cobalt Noiseless™ (SCN) Single-Coil Strat®
    CONTROLS
    Volume, Tone
    SWITCHING
    5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup, Position 3. Middle Pickup, Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup, Position 5. Neck Pickup
    CONFIGURATION
    HSS

I went looking for the wiring schematic and the closest one I could find is this one.

I hope I got this right. Any tips are welcome, including videos.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2S_1H_5W_1V_1T.jpg
Views:	1259
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	6232748

The only thing I can add is that it is likely that the JB is out of phase with the Fender pickups. So you have to either reverse the hot & ground on both single coils or reverse the green and black wires on the JB for everything to be in phase.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      The only thing I can add is that it is likely that the JB is out of phase with the Fender pickups. So you have to either reverse the hot & ground on both single coils or reverse the green and black wires on the JB for everything to be in phase.
      Thank you.

What would be a good replacement for those single coil pickups from Seymour Duncan?

I don't know why Adrian Smith didn't stick with Seymour Duncan's throughout.

Comment

I already have a Fender Vintera SSS Stratocaster and am now thining if a Hot Rails or Cool Rails would be good in the Neck position and Middle position JB Jr. because it seems that is what Dave Murray has in his pickguard.

The Dave Murray Loaded Pickguard captures the iconic rhythmic crunch and bubbly lead trills that have influenced guitarists worldwide for decades.

However, will the JB Jr. go well with the JB-TB-4 in the bridge/middle position?

Comment

Well, for good noiseless single coils that sound super Stratty, look at the Classic Stack Plus. Phase is something that strangely isn't a standard thing across pickup companies...either is wire colors. So we here are always chasing what will work together without swapping wires around.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBrothman View Post
            I already have a Fender Vintera SSS Stratocaster and am now thining if a Hot Rails or Cool Rails would be good in the Neck position and Middle position JB Jr. because it seems that is what Dave Murray has in his pickguard.

The Dave Murray Loaded Pickguard captures the iconic rhythmic crunch and bubbly lead trills that have influenced guitarists worldwide for decades.

However, will the JB Jr. go well with the JB-TB-4 in the bridge/middle position?
            The thing about the JB Jr, Hot Rails and Cool Rails is that they don't sound remotely like Strat pickups. That's ok, but it depends on what your end goal is. I don't know if I'd put a JB Jr in anything but the bridge position, as it will tend to overpower everything.

Comment

You are right. Stick with the Classic Stack Plus and leave the Rails and JB for a Murray.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Comment

I don't think H uses the neck or middle pickups much to be honest.
                He mostly uses the bridge pickup.
                I've been putting together an Adrian Smith/Maiden/80's metal inspired strat as well.
                Except I went with a Super Distortion, Air Norton S in the middle, and The Chopper in the neck!!

If you want the JB in the bridge, Janick's live set up might be cool!
                JB bridge, Hot Rails in the middle, and a JB jr neck.

Or Dave's live set up,
                Hot Rails bridge, JB jr middle, Hot Rails neck.

Comment

I went with the DiMarzio Super Distortion DP100. Next time I will get the Seymour Duncan.

I installed it today and gave it a test drive. Thanks for the help!

Comment

So I need a better neck pickup than the Jackson one in it. I lowered the middle pickup max, so I only use positions 1 and 5.

I might replace both the neck and middle at the same time. Just to have it there if I want it.
                    1. Classic Strat Plus x 2.
                    2. Air Norton S in the middle, and The Chopper in neck.
                    3. Area 58/61
                    I want 80s heavy metal and the option to use the neck for solos.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBrothman View Post

Um, you won't want to use that drawing. It wouldn't produce sound if you followed it as-is. You'd have to move the black wire from the switch to the volume from it's current lone side of the switch over to the remaining open lug on the side where all the pickups are wired to the switch.

Comment

Working...
                      X