No announcement yet.

Pickup suggestions needed for my Mahogany tele with humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I am still torn at the moment between the JB and Distortion still. I was looking at the sticky thread in this forum with the outputs for each pickup. If I'm reading it correct below is the JB and Distortion outputs. I checked out the Alt 8, but I think I'd rather go with the JB or Distortion.

TB-4 JB Trembucker 737
    TB-6 Duncan Distortion Trmbkr 792

If these are correct it looks like the Distortion isn't too much more than the JB. I think I'm still leaning towards the JB at the moment, but that may change. I only have the PRS Holcomb that has a ceramic pickup in it and I'm not sure that guitar is for me, so I may be parting with that at some point. I'm more of a Fender guy than PRS I think. That being said I'm thinking of keeping at least one ceramic pickup guitar in my stable, so I may settle on the Distortion.

This video has me wondering.

Last edited by Coryd; 05-17-2023, 06:46 AM.

Comment

While I do admit those output measurings serve as sort of a guideline, I think those were somewhat off for some pickups. No way the Distortion is hotter than the BW, for example. No way. And I say that from first-hand experience.

Also, the reading for the FS Neck is way off, IMO.

But yeah, if you don't mind the added output or the Ceramic magnet, the Distortion is less stuffy and more modern than the JB. Honestly, the Distortion is a deceptively modern-sounding pickup despite it being tover fourty years old.

Comment

Alright guys I’m trying to stay with some classic options and this is last option to throw out but anyone have experience with the Super Distortion? Is it a worthy option? I’ve heard a few comparisons with it and the JB and it seems to be maybe a bit warmer even though it has a ceramic mag. Again I just want to make the right choice and all input is really greatly appreciated!

Comment

The Super Distortion is quality.

The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

The Super D is pretty cool. Kinda fat and yeah, not as upper-middy as the JB.

But hotter than the JB, IME. Not as hot as the Distortion, but hotter than the JB.

Bassier and dirtier too.

I wouldn't say it's *warmer* myself. It's not as cutting/bitey, but it has some ceramic rasp up top.

But to be completely honest, it's been AGES since I had one. It was the first pickup swap I ever did. I wouldn't venture to say it's either darker or brighter than the JB. But it is raspy, fat, and HOT.
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 05-17-2023, 07:42 PM.

Comment

A JB in a mahogany body is pretty awesome! I think a Full Shred set would match surprisingly well.
              Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Many thanks again everyone. I really really appreciate all the responses in this!

I’ve been thinking A LOT about this and I think I’m going to try the JB/jazz set again. I’m really hoping it works for me!

Comment

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all the suggestions! I’ve just now had a chance to get these pick ups installed and so far I am loving them! The JB is a bit loose in the low end, but I’m just eq’ if a bit differently to compensate. I’ll try to get some thing recorded soon to share but again big thank you to you guys for the suggestions!

Comment

Awesome! That came out great!
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Looks cool! Is that Root Tele?

Comment

That looks killer with the black covers!

Comment

Originally posted by McD View Post
                          Looks cool! Is that Root Tele?
                          Many thanks! Indeed it is! It weighs a ton but I love it!

Comment

2 sets I have good luck with in mahogany are.
                            The Saturday night special set. Would recommend the full set as the A4 mag gives them a rater unique attack and feel. Super versatile set up that can pull off a lot of different styles. Nails those classic rock tones very well. Fantastic cleans. Also is very defined and articulate at high gain. The SNS set is one of my favorites from Duncan.
                            ALT 8 bridge with a Sentient neck. Surprisingly versatile set that with both split can pull off a shockingly good clean country lead tone. Explosive solo tones that really sing and cut trough. Both are very responsive to touch and expressive through a good real tube high gain amp. IMO this is what the JB Jazz set promised to be but never was. Have run this combo in 2 guitars so far and really liked it.
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Coryd View Post
                              Just wanted to say a big thank you for all the suggestions! I’ve just now had a chance to get these pick ups installed and so far I am loving them! The JB is a bit loose in the low end, but I’m just eq’ if a bit differently to compensate. I’ll try to get some thing recorded soon to share but again big thank you to you guys for the suggestions!
                              A Alt 8 will tighten than bottom a lot and is also a lot more lively harmonically. Many including myself have called the Al8 a JB on steroids. Also a A 8 mag swap in the JB will tighten that bottom and also knock out that nasal mid honk it has.
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

A Alt 8 will tighten than bottom a lot and is also a lot more lively harmonically. Many including myself have called the Al8 a JB on steroids. Also a A 8 mag swap in the JB will tighten that bottom and also knock out that nasal mid honk it has.
                                I may still give the Alt 8 a try. I've been watching some videos on the Alt 8 recently, and it does seem like a great pickup. Currently, I don't have any other guitars to put pickups in, but I'm thinking of getting a cheap baritone soon, so maybe I'll try it in that guitar. The band I'm writing and recording with at the moment mainly plays in drop B and I'm the bass player, but write a lot on guitar as well.

At the moment I am loving the JB in drop B tuning.

Comment

Working...
                                X