Coodercaster Bridge Pickup Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coodercaster Bridge Pickup Suggestion

Decided to pull the trigger on a Coodercaster build. Going with the Desuenberg multibender on a Warmoth Strat. For pickups, I was thinking Goldfoils with a Stringthrough.

Lollar and Mojopickups are the only ones I can find that offer the “String through” pickups. Anyone try either of these?

Any pickup suggestions?

I had to look it up. I'd never even heard of string through pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
      I had never heard of it either until I saw a clip by Waterslide Guitars.

Comment

That doesn't get in the way of your hands?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          That doesn't get in the way of your hands?
          It does, basically eliminating palm muting. BUT...part of Ry Cooder's slide tone revolves around this type of bridge pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post

It does, basically eliminating palm muting. BUT...part of Ry Cooder's slide tone revolves around this type of bridge pickup.
            Not knowing anything about this...I wonder if you can approximate that sound with a more conventional pickup. What does the cover add to the sound?

Comment

The very first electric guitars (mostly lap steels - mostly Rickenbackers) were string through pickups.
              This is a Ro-Pat-In, which preceded Rickenbacker.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Not knowing anything about this...I wonder if you can approximate that sound with a more conventional pickup. What does the cover add to the sound?
                On the old Valco pickups, the cover is part of the actual pickup and helps with sustain (supposedly.) I could be wrong, but I think the design has magnets on the top and bottom of the string.

Comment

On the old Valco pickups, the cover is part of the actual pickup and helps with sustain (supposedly.) I could be wrong, but I think the design has magnets on the top and bottom of the string.
                  Interesting. I wonder what that adds to the sound, and if it could be replicated another way.

Comment

my turner baritone has an old ric style pup, sounds fantastic! looks almost identical to this

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=6028500.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	6233430

Comment

I have seen him with a strat with a Jazzmaster pickup in the bridge too. If you really wanted to you could just use a string through pickup cover like you see on Rickenbacker's or Precision Basses. If you wanted to go cheap on the pickup https://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage...ups_c_525.html . I'm not sure how true to the originals they are though?
                      Last edited by idsnowdog; 05-16-2023, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                        I believe the bridge pickup came from a Lap Steel guitar. Which would make sense since he's a slide player. But if you wanted a string through pickup cover you could go with an ashtray bridge on a Tele or use the cover from a P-bass.

Comment

I had never heard of it either until I saw a clip by Waterslide Guitars.
                          That is unlike anything I've ever listened to.....
                          I don't know how to feel about it. I mean it's nothing like what I am into whatsoever, but also...I don't hate it.... It's rather.... Pleasing?
                          Where can I find more of this kind of stuff?
                          https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Nice to watch Joe Gore‘s goldfoil strat

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Interesting. I wonder what that adds to the sound, and if it could be replicated another way.
                              It supposedly adds quite a bit of sustain and makes for a very hot pickup.

Mojo makes one that is a regular humbucker and it doesn't quite sound the same to my ears.

Comment

Working...
                              X