Tell me about Alnico 8.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about Alnico 8.

I've never really spent significant time with an A8 pickup. I've always been under the impression the Alt 8 would be a bit too fat-sounding for me.

But I wonder how it would sound in a leaner-sounding wind.

I've always loved the EQ curve of A5 and how bold and sparkly the highs are and how firm yet organic the low-end is.

How does A8 compare? Is the high-end open and bitey like A5? Is the low-end firm? Are the mids laid-back or are they more forward like A2?

Thanks!

It has no organic sound to it at all. It's just aggressive like ceramic but with a different eq. Solid bass and gritty mids with some treble.

If you like A5, try A6. Same bass, same response, little different color, a little bit of A2ish mids, and slightly less treble but can still chime.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 05-19-2023, 12:51 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Honestly, that sounds nice.

As long as it not lower-mid-focused, I think I'd like to give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        If you like A5, try A6. Same bass, same response, little different color, a little bit of A2ish mids, and slightly less treble but can still chime.
        I guess I'd like to give it a try, but honestly, the bass is not what I dig the most from A5. It's the bright, sparkly, bitey treble that isn't fizzy or raspy like Ceramic.

Comment

A5 has the most bright and sparkly treble out of all the mags. A6 is similar, but has a little less treble. A8 is harsh and metallic in the mids and there is no nice sparkle to appreciate on the top what so ever lol because of the mid aggression. A9 has crisp treble but upper mids. UOA5 has some crisp treble but is slightly chewified. Everything will be a compromise from A5.
          I bought them for you

Comment

It's been awhile, but A8 was one of those things I really loved for a minute, then went back to ceramic. Similar to how I thought I loved A5 and A2, then went back to ceramic.

Have you tried any combos? I tore all the active preamp crap out of my Carvin with the Lithiums, and I love the Lithium bridge even more now. It's A5 with ceramic spacers, really gives the best of both.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
              It's been awhile, but A8 was one of those things I really loved for a minute, then went back to ceramic. Similar to how I thought I loved A5 and A2, then went back to ceramic.

Have you tried any combos? I tore all the active preamp crap out of my Carvin with the Lithiums, and I love the Lithium bridge even more now. It's A5 with ceramic spacers, really gives the best of both.
              I have not tried any combos... but I wouldn't mind trying out one of those pickups that mix A5 and Ceramic. But honestly, I'd be scared all the time to know the Ceramic is constantly degaussing the Alnico, LOL.

A5 has the most bright and sparkly treble out of all the mags. A6 is similar, but has a little less treble. A8 is harsh and metallic in the mids and there is no nice sparkle to appreciate on the top what so ever lol because of the mid aggression. A9 has crisp treble but upper mids. UOA5 has some crisp treble but is slightly chewified. Everything will be a compromise from A5.
              I think I'll give A8 a try just to see. I'm not into vintage vibes, and honestly, A5 is the one that gives me the least vintage vibes while still not sounding super tight, modern, and aggressive as Ceramic (I do love Ceramic in the right pickup, though).

Comment

The only one beside A5 that isn't vintage vibes or mega aggressive is A6. It's a different flavor, but it is slightly mellower than A5. A8 and A9 are between A5 and ceramic for the tight/modern/aggressive feel.
                I bought them for you

Comment

Output is hot.

Tonally, I'd say it runs an interesting middle ground between A2 and A5. It cures "What you don't like" about either an A2 or an A5

Highs - sharper than an A2, softer than an A5
                  Mids - More than an A5, less than an A2
                  Bass - Tighter than an A2, looser than an A5

So a guitar that is too bright and pushed mids gets highs tamed and mids not so forward. A loose bass and scooped mids gets the bass tightened and the mids pushed a bit.

If dodging Ceramic, it will thicken it, and warm it, while maintaining the heat.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                    I guess I'd like to give it a try, but honestly, the bass is not what I dig the most from A5. It's the bright, sparkly, bitey treble that isn't fizzy or raspy like Ceramic.
                    A8 doesn’t have that. Tight mids and bass with an A2 EQ is what my ears tell me it has.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      Output is hot.

Tonally, I'd say it runs an interesting middle ground between A2 and A5. It cures "What you don't like" about either an A2 or an A5

Highs - sharper than an A2, softer than an A5
                      Mids - More than an A5, less than an A2
                      Bass - Tighter than an A2, looser than an A5

So a guitar that is too bright and pushed mids gets highs tamed and mids not so forward. A loose bass and scooped mids gets the bass tightened and the mids pushed a bit.

If dodging Ceramic, it will thicken it, and warm it, while maintaining the heat.
                      +1
                      One of my Les Paul has a custom 8 in the bridge. Swapped ceramic in favor of A8 and Aceman described well the reason. To my ears it is the best of two worlds (alnico and ceramic).

Comment

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post

+1
                        One of my Les Paul has a custom 8 in the bridge. Swapped ceramic in favor of A8 and Aceman described well the reason. To my ears it is the best of two worlds (alnico and ceramic).
                        I would guess...

Took the harsh off the highs
                        Bumped the mids up a touch
                        Warmed the bass, and lessened, without it disappearing / maintained some thump, kept it tight-ish
                        Stayed Hot

Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

For me, A8 is everything I love about ceramics without the things (harshness, lack of dynamics) I don't like about ceramics.

Larry

Comment

OK, so what I can gather is it doesn't sound as dry/raspy/tight as Ceramic, but it doesn't really sound like any other Alnico either?

Comment

It has no organic sound to it at all. It's just aggressive like ceramic but with a different eq. Solid bass and gritty mids with some treble.

WRONG!! A8 if set up right can be very open sweet and expressive. I have been running a A8 mag Alt 8 in my KOA Carvin DC 127 for a number of years playing modern worship. I am a player who despises soulless and harsh high output ceramic mag pickups. I lean more to medium output A2 and A5 mostly but also love A8 in right setting.
                              Here is your supposedly soulless harsh A8 in my 93 DC 127 running mostly with the Sentient neck in that guitar.
                              A8 sounds much like A2 in some ways but is much tighter less compressed and more articulate . Still has that singing sweet mid though if set up right. The key to running A8 is to find the sweet spot on height as the magnetic field is strong and to close to the strings and they get weird.

Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X