Let's talk about the tone chart between the JB and 59 / Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post

Can you kind of dumb it down for an old school rocker, lol.
    Do you physically hear more mids or the same amount of mids with the 59 / C verses the 59 SH1 from the graphs?
    As you can see, the Hybrid played in chords has apparently more of everything (including mids) up to approximatively 2,5khz - or less of everything between this frequency and 7khz, if we align the graphs on each other. ;-)

Now, let's keep in mind that my pics show the EQing of pickups played direct to the board, IOW totally clean (sonically "naked" so to speak). Such tests don't show how a powerful or weaker pickup interacts with the gain stages of a pedal and/or amp. :-)

Furthermore: being already old but not yet deaf , I also "hear" different frequencies with different pickup models, even when they have really close specs and even when all other parms are strictly identical (that's how I've won a set of boutique humbuckers for free in a shoot-out, 11 years ago, for the record. LOL).
    My point was just to recall that EQing in itself a) is a moving target with passive pickups and b) is not necessarily what makes the biggest differences between pickups when we hear them as distinct : The reaction of a transducer to string attack and how its decay/sustain/release dynamically promote such or such frequency range is at least as important IME/ IMHO and can't be reflected by a static BMT chart (or graph). ;-)
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Picked up a used 59/C and wired it up this afternoon, I see what it's all about now.
      What I hear is a hotter 59 tone with a bump of mids but not excessive.
      Doesn't have the compression of the JB but it can keep up with it enough for nice lead work if needed.
      Since I have another guitar with an Ant JB in it, I'll ride this one for a while and give it a fair test drive before making a final decision.
      Thanks for all the input, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post

As you can see, the Hybrid played in chords has apparently more of everything (including mids) up to approximatively 2,5khz - or less of everything between this frequency and 7khz, if we align the graphs on each other. ;-)

Now, let's keep in mind that my pics show the EQing of pickups played direct to the board, IOW totally clean (sonically "naked" so to speak). Such tests don't show how a powerful or weaker pickup interacts with the gain stages of a pedal and/or amp. :-)

Furthermore: being already old but not yet deaf , I also "hear" different frequencies with different pickup models, even when they have really close specs and even when all other parms are strictly identical (that's how I've won a set of boutique humbuckers for free in a shoot-out, 11 years ago, for the record. LOL).
        My point was just to recall that EQing in itself a) is a moving target with passive pickups and b) is not necessarily what makes the biggest differences between pickups when we hear them as distinct : The reaction of a transducer to string attack and how its decay/sustain/release dynamically promote such or such frequency range is at least as important IME/ IMHO and can't be reflected by a static BMT chart (or graph). ;-)
        Your inquisitive nature and neverending curiosity is such an inspiration, thank you

Comment

Working...
        X