Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mighty SD

Pleasant reading

The Super distortion is the only non seymour duncan pickup ever installed in one of my guitars. 50 years has passed since its release and it is argument of thousands of posts.

In 2023 is there still place for such pickup? Is it superseded in nowadays digital era?
    Last edited by EmiAba; 05-23-2023, 03:28 PM.

Short answer: NO.

The Super D is a known quantity, and therefore a universal yardstick.
    Seymour Duncans version of a known quantity is a JB.

Also, Larry is a bit of a self-promotor. He claims to be the firstest with the mostest, but Bill Lawrence was making and selling replacement pickups before Larry. I remember seeing Bill Lawrence ads in Guitar Player magazine before I saw DiMarzio ads.
    Last edited by ICTGoober; 05-23-2023, 03:35 PM.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I'm not much of a high gain guy but I really like the super distortion for some applications. It's not the sound that I always want, but does rock to metal and everything in between pretty well to my ears and sounds good when rolling off the volume. Seems to work best into a lowish gain amp for me.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I like the super D I'm going to put an uncovered super distortion and a nickel covered PAF36th anniversary in my greeny when I get it.
        It's funny how some stories became historic,
        especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

It was the first aftermarket pickup I ever bought. I liked it at the time, but haven't compared it to anything else ever since.

I wonder how it does nowadays. At the time, I replaced it for an EMG 85 and then an EMG 81.

At the time, I thought fat-sounding pickups were the way to go for a fat metal sound. Turns out not really, LOL.
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 05-23-2023, 04:19 PM.

Comment

It has for sure a distinctive sound. It is thick and hot and still one of the best selling in dimarzio lineup. It's impossible to find out an equivalent in any other aftermarket vendors. And that is part of its success. I think everyone needs a SD

Comment

It's impossible to find out an equivalent in any other aftermarket vendors.
              Yes, there is. It's called sales. And the Duncan JB is the best selling aftermarket pickup PERIOD. This is not an opinion - it's backed up by numbers.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

the sd and jb sound nothing a like

Comment

Also...where are these numbers

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                    Short answer: NO.

The Super D is a known quantity, and therefore a universal yardstick.
                    Seymour Duncans version of a known quantity is a JB.

Also, Larry is a bit of a self-promotor. He claims to be the firstest with the mostest, but Bill Lawrence was making and selling replacement pickups before Larry. I remember seeing Bill Lawrence ads in Guitar Player magazine before I saw DiMarzio ads.
                    Yup, Bill was even selling them in Double Cream (TM) back in the 1960's.

Comment

There will always be a place for a righteous Super Distortion in a Les Paul.
                      Last edited by Aceman; 05-25-2023, 10:41 AM.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yeah, in the early 70’s it was very appropriately named. But in terms of what we think of now as “high gain,” its name leads you to believe that it’s more of a scorcher than it really is.
                        i mean, it is loud and will drive an amp well, but i think it’s really pretty versatile and still picks up your picking dynamics very well.
                        if you’re not messing with pedals and just are going into a cranked tube amp, it’s the best, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          the sd and jb sound nothing a like
                          They sound nothing alike, but they are each company's flagship pickup, so to speak.

Comment

I have tried the Super Distortion so often, never managed to get my tone out of it. Just never felt 'right'. The JB, on the other hand, seems to hit my sweet spot time and time again.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              There will always be a place form a righteous Super Distortion in a Les Paul.
                              I call it the bridge.

Comment

Working...
                              X