Schematic help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schematic help

Looking to install two new SD pups in my PRS, and need some help with wiring/switch selection!!

Neck- TB-4 trembucker
    Bridge- Phat Cat

Is there any way to use a LP style 3-way switch (perhaps a 6 pole version?) to have my options as:
    Neck (both coils) only
    Neck (single) and P90 in parallel
    P90 only

looking for help as to how to wire this (and what the proper switch would be)

thanks in advance!

Look here for a start

Schematic diagrams for Free-Way 3X3-03, 3X3-05, 3X3-07 & 3X3-08 Toggle Switch models. Dimensional templates also provided.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Before buying parts and wiring, have you confirmed a Trembucker will fit in the neck of a PRS, and is a JB in the neck and Phat Cat in the bridge really what you want to do?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Welcome to the forum.

Before buying parts and wiring, have you confirmed a Trembucker will fit in the neck of a PRS, and is a JB in the neck and Phat Cat in the bridge really what you want to do?
        Yes it fits just fine.
        And yes. While not typical, I had an old Explorer with this same pickup combination and it was killer (just different switching) and suits my needs/style very well
        (the pickup arrangement is also not all that different from an EBMM Valentine).

Comment

You'll need this switch, or one similar: https://guitarelectronics.com/3-posi...switch-chrome/

The next you'll need to figure out is which coil of the JB will hum-cancel with the Phat Cat. I'm not sure. Once you get the specific switch, we can go from there. One problem is that those switches come in two different contact configurations. One where the middle contacts switch together, and one where the contacts alternate. You need to know which you have before we can do a diagram.

One other small issue is that those switches are hard to find with the taller bat handle that's typical of a Gibson guitar. They usually have a short handle that you may not like.

Once you get the switch, the diagram is fairly simple.

Comment

Here are the two switch configurations you'll run into. We would need to know which you have before we could do a diagram.

Click image for larger version

Name:	switch_contacts.png
Views:	204
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	6234654

Comment

Switch ordered. The link has this image for switching options…

Comment

I’m hoping to wire this up later this week…just had my gallbladder removed so this seems like a good “stationary activity” lol

any further guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

For the next step, you'll need a meter. (DMM) Since the switch isn't symmetrical, you need to establish a top & bottom. Put the handle in the middle, (pos. 2), and using ohms, meter either the "B" or "C" terminal so that they match the diagram. In other words, contacts down. Now, using a Sharpie, or somesuch, put an "X", or write "top" where the red arrow is. Now you'll know how to orient the switch for the diagram.

I've got some errands to run today, so I can draw up the diagram later this evening or tomorrow.

Name:	3-way_switch.png
Views:	182
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	6240844

Comment

With the switch oriented so red arrow is "up", make connections as so. I'm not sure which coil will be humbucking with the Phat Cat, so try the blue jumper (blue for illustration only) to ground first. If that isn't humbucking when both pups are on, just move it to the terminal with the green arrow.

Name:	3-way_switch_2.png
Views:	121
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	6241108

Comment

Artie, as always, you provide incredible useful information. Thanks for being here!
                      What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Yur welcome. Glad to be of some value.

Comment

artie, you are a tremendously valuable member here!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                            With the switch oriented so red arrow is "up", make connections as so. I'm not sure which coil will be humbucking with the Phat Cat, so try the blue jumper (blue for illustration only) to ground first. If that isn't humbucking when both pups are on, just move it to the terminal with the green arrow.

Name:	3-way_switch_2.png
Views:	121
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	6241108
                            Hey Artie - it’s been a while. I’ve changed plans ever so slightly ‍♂️

So I am actually going with the “traditional 3-way toggle” in this guitar and want to replace the 5-way rotary in my other CE22 with this switch…essentially what I want is a toggle to switch between positions 10 (bridge), 9 (outer coils in parallel), and 6 (neck) of the rotary.

also - if you care to further share your genius…I want to rehome the 5-way rotary into the Swamp Ash Special I just picked up. Looking to have a 2-way ON/ON toggle that switches between “les Paul” (bridge humbucker) and “strat” (split neck and bridge pups and uses 5-way rotary for the typical strat options)

Comment

That's not exactly "slightly."

Let me revisit this and make sure I understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X