Hex screw mod 59/demon wound/plain strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hex screw mod 59/demon wound/plain strings

Wanted to try this for quite some time now.
    but lately was more playing and practicing.

moved the 3 hex from the demon plain strings to the 59n wound strings.

the neck wound strings on the 59n definitely got a sharper attack (nice!) and are less boomy. Noticeable clearer.

i wanted the demon Leads to be a bit more full, less tight. Didn‘t notice a real difference though, will have to swap it again…

the neck PU could use a lil less scoopi for a more singing lead tone all together…

that guitar sound absolutely massive unplugged and also plugged, but can get woofy easily
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ToneFiddler; 05-26-2023, 02:36 PM.

Interesting. So the hex screws made that noticeable a difference?

Comment

Hex screws in a 59 make it a totally different pickup. In mine, it became a total scooped metal monster. Not like a Demon, it was different. More extreme.

Comment

Scooped like a Custom 5? I have to admit, I've never tried this.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Scooped like a Custom 5? I have to admit, I've never tried this.
          IME Yes, by far. If you put hexes in a Custom 5, then the C5 sounds like a loud 59 with hexes. It's closer to Full Shred territory. Which is surprising because it's only one row of hexes in the 59.

Comment

I am not so sure how big the difference in the demon is.
            only played acoustic since.
            Amp and speaker are always the biggest part, so I wouldn‘t suggest anything as drastic as beaubrummels, but the wound strings on the 59n sound noticeable different than before.
            will mag swap the neck for an A4 for more mids and maybe the demon for an A6.

what‘s the difference between A6 and A8?

Comment

A6 is like a variation of A5. It doesn't relate to A8.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Since the pole screws of SD are already 1018 - 1020 steel, you could shorten the neck screws flush to the backplate. This brings the screw mass down to ballpark of hexes. This is also the official SD mod for muddy neck humbuckers.
                I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  A6 is like a variation of A5. It doesn't relate to A8.
                  physical/composition wise or tonewise, or both since that is tied together?

I read that A6 has about the same bass, more mids and a lil softer highs than A5. Which makes me wanna try it. The stock demon is great for rhythm but it‘s not too inspiring for leads…
                  how different is A6 too a double thick A5?
                  Last edited by ToneFiddler; 05-29-2023, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                    Since the pole screws of SD are already 1018 - 1020 steel, you could shorten the neck screws flush to the backplate. This brings the screw mass down to ballpark of hexes. This is also the official SD mod for muddy neck humbuckers.
                    Thanks, I did this to a TVJ filtertron neck with very long bottom screws and a different 59n. Yes it made both more clear.

i did this particular mod to the 59n because I needed filisters for my demon plain strings and since it's the same guitar and the bass is kind of excessive, i wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone and the mod is easily reversible
                    Last edited by ToneFiddler; 05-29-2023, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                      Since the pole screws of SD are already 1018 - 1020 steel, …
                      Are Duncan hex and filisters the same steel?

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                        physical/composition wise or tonewise, or both since that is tied together?
                        I meant tone wise. You can investigate the compositions if you want.

I read that A6 has about the same bass, more mids and a lil softer highs than A5.
                        That's true. It's a good alternative to A5. Responds like A5 since it's oriented. Also the only oriented mag with nice mids. A8 and A9 are just pure aggression, A5 has none.

Which makes me wanna try it.
                        You should try it.

how different is A6 to a double thick A5?
                        The description above is accurate, I'd go by that. Double thick has the same effect for any mag. It increases the output and bass, and gives a deeper and rounder feel, while keeping the core characteristics of the mag the same.
                        Last edited by Clint 55; 05-29-2023, 04:34 PM.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

thanks, for the input.

i tried a double thick A5 demon and i didn't really make out a difference because the assembly took me weeks.
                          but now that that you say it, the more bass thing was there, but that made the distortion more rough, which i didn't like. I thought and it could have been just the older strings, though.
                          I was listening for a change in fuller mids and maybe softer highs, which was not apparent.

Comment

You're welcome. Double thick is like a boost basically. More mids and softer highs wouldn't be an effect.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Clint 55: i'll have do redo the mod to really notice it myself. As said, to long of wait time in between mod and too short in there to really get to know the modded PU.

anyway, i swap the hexes on the plain string back and forth with filisters and there is a tiny difference. the hex screws are indeed a tiny bit more clicky on the attack, but it's too small of a difference i really care. On the other hand, on the wound strings on the neck PU it really does make a difference!

Comment

Working...
                              X