No announcement yet.

Telecaster PUP Update - School me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Seymour Duncan broadcaster is really bright and steely and also not very hot. Mine has a very skinny bobbin (smaller than the JD) so I suspect it‘s 8k worth of awg 43 which is way less than 7.4k of awg 42. it also sounds that way…

Comment

Different experiences. I have a Broadcaster in an Ash tele and it was my number one guitar for all kinds of cover music for over 10 years. You can get heat from amps. Having some treble available gives you range for a variety of music. If it's too bright, that's what the tone is for, both on the guitar and at the amp.

That said, I believe the Antiquity '55 might be closer to what Jimmy Page had in his Dragon tele, FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Different experiences. I have a Broadcaster in an Ash tele and it was my number one guitar for all kinds of cover music for over 10 years. You can get heat from amps. Having some treble available gives you range for a variety of music. If it's too bright, that's what the tone is for, both on the guitar and at the amp.

That said, I believe the Antiquity '55 might be closer to what Jimmy Page had in his Dragon tele, FWIW.
        I think the SD Broadcaster formula has changed over the years, but's that just a guess. mines a recent one and the bobbin is smaller than the JDs which has the lower DCR reading. Your's might be AWG42???

My amp has plenty of gain, but rolling down the tone is not the same as a hotter wind, not even close. I like low output, as long as it gets the tone I am after. No probs with a fender CS69 or tele necks.
        maybe a parallel cap to the output might be better in mimic the tone of a hotter PU, but i don't have too much experience with that...

Comment

Originally posted by kdlp View Post

Ya, I wondered if I wasn't needlessly complicating things with the 4-way. The 4-way gives you a "series" (out of phase) position if I understand correctly. I'm not sure about the wiring schematic but there must be something out there.

BTW, I see options on the Seth Lover Humbucker as to the cable. I see "1C Braided" and "4C shielded". My Telecaster guitar body/pickguard is shielded. Is this a 4 wires versus 1 wire choice until the cable crosses into the control cavity? I assume there will be 4 conductors regardless.

And thx for the advice.
          1C braided means you won't be able to coil split, 4C shielding means you can. Other than that the only difference is aesthetic.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
            I think the SD Broadcaster formula has changed over the years, but's that just a guess. mines a recent one and the bobbin is smaller than the JDs which has the lower DCR reading. Your's might be AWG42???

My amp has plenty of gain, but rolling down the tone is not the same as a hotter wind, not even close. I like low output, as long as it gets the tone I am after. No probs with a fender CS69 or tele necks.
            maybe a parallel cap to the output might be better in mimic the tone of a hotter PU, but i don't have too much experience with that...
            Mine is older, from around 2005, so almost 20 years ago. It's still in the guitar and not leaving soon. But like I say, different experiences. Mine sounds convincingly similar to humbuckers with the tone rolled back a bit. The tone control lowers the resonant peak, making it sound closer to a humbucker; takes all the twang off it and makes it mid-heavy. Make up gain can be gotten from the amp.

For me, hotter winds just start you out hitting the amp input harder, which makes the amp sound different, but doesn't really make the guitar sound different (if that makes sense), since I can get a humbucker-like sound out of a lower output PU already. Hitting the amp input harder changes the headroom, and grit/distortion characteristics and how the tone stack of the amp responds a bit IME. Maybe that's what you're getting at with the 'not even close' comparison. But the same effect could be achieved with a boost after a low output single coil guitar; basically the reason Klons, Dallas Rangemasters and numerous other boosts are sought after.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Mine is older, from around 2005, so almost 20 years ago. It's still in the guitar and not leaving soon. But like I say, different experiences. Mine sounds convincingly similar to humbuckers with the tone rolled back a bit. The tone control lowers the resonant peak, making it sound closer to a humbucker; takes all the twang off it and makes it mid-heavy. Make up gain can be gotten from the amp.

For me, hotter winds just start you out hitting the amp input harder, which makes the amp sound different, but doesn't really make the guitar sound different (if that makes sense), since I can get a humbucker-like sound out of a lower output PU already. Hitting the amp input harder changes the headroom, and grit/distortion characteristics and how the tone stack of the amp responds a bit IME. Maybe that's what you're getting at with the 'not even close' comparison. But the same effect could be achieved with a boost after a low output single coil guitar; basically the reason Klons, Dallas Rangemasters and numerous other boosts are sought after.

Cheers
              to be more clear: the cable capacity or parallel capacity shifts the resonant peak down. the tone pot only damps the resonance, at least on moderate tone settings not all the way down, if i remember correctly.

as stated i like super low output pickups like a tele neck or similar.

it's just the bright single Coil bridges that i regularly rip out of my guitars. tried different tone caps, also. At the point they are not too bright anymore, they often just sound kind of lame. maybe it's the combination with my v30 speakers?
              with the JD and other hotter Tele bridges i am fine if i turn the town knob down 1/4 or 1/3 max. anything more (depending on the cap value) and i tend to not like it...

you are not trying to convince me that different pickups are useless and you can achieve everything with a vintage tele PU and a tone pot, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                you are not trying to convince me that different pickups are useless and you can achieve everything with a vintage tele PU and a tone pot, do you?
                I never said that. I just stated my experience with the various pickups in question, for the benefit of the OP, who isn't you.

Comment

Just want to toss in a quick "Thanks!" here for all the useful info. I haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to do with this Tele yet but I have certainly minimized the possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by kdlp View Post
                    Just want to toss in a quick "Thanks!" here for all the useful info. I haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to do with this Tele yet but I have certainly minimized the possibilities.
                    Come back and let us know how this project turns out!
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X